Freevo Install

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
GamE
Novice

Freevo Install

Post by GamE »

Maybe Im not reading enough into this but in trying to follow the faq's i just cant get this to work

To get Freevo working, do the following as user "gentoox"

1) pico /home/gentoox/.xinitrc

2) change the line that says either "startkde" or "startxfce4" (depending on which window manager you are using) to "/opt/freevo/freevo", also, delete the line starting with "xbvset".

3) reboot

4) Freevo should autolaunch on boot, though you will need a keyboard to control it or you can emerge LIRC and set it up to use the Xbox's remote (I may set this up in future releases).

Het is what i did

1 opened the terminal...and typed pico /home/gentoox/.xinitrc
2. Then I deleted startxfce4 and typed /opt/freevo/freevo
2a. I could not find this part....also, delete the line starting with "xbvset".
3. I rebooted
4. Nothing happend.

Am i doing something wrong??

Here is a copy of my .xinitrc...
/usr/bin/X11/xvkbd -geometry 800x130+0-81 &

/opt/freevo/freevo
It also will not let me login using my gentoox username and pw anymore.
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

Hi,

The .xinitrc is Default startup script for X Windows. So if its under /home/gentoox then thats the file thats going to be used when you login as gentoox... If your looking at the file under /home/root then its the file used when you login as root.

If you changed the file under /home/gentoox and you cannot login back as gentoox then you need to put back what you changed and then try to logback in. Try to just login as gentoox and run freevo by typing /opt/freevo/freevo ..

HTH