Networking questions

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Kaosannihilator

Networking questions

Post by Kaosannihilator »

How can I connect to my PC from Gentoox and vice-versa? Also I was wondering wether you can access the internet from Gentoox by connecting the xbox to the PC. Is it possible?
Consolero
Linux User

Post by Consolero »

You want to access the internet from your GentooX-Box? Do you have a router? If not, what OS are you running on your PC? Is your PC directly connected to the internet via ISDN-Card or cable modem?
Kaosannihilator

My PC is connected directly to the wall jack (I use dial-up), and my xbox is connected to my PC with a cross-over cable (no routers or hubs, etc.). I can FTP into my Xbox thru EvoX, but I dont know how to do it thru Gentoox. What do I have to run in Gentoox?
Consolero
Linux User

Post by Consolero »

If you have WinXP running on your desktop it's very easy: Activate the Internet Connection Sharing. This will install a DHCP server. Switch your Xbox to DHCP settings and that it is. Your XBox is on the Internet.
Last edited by Consolero on Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaosannihilator

Oh yea, and I'm running Windows XP Pro on my PC
Consolero
Linux User

Post by Consolero »

Do you want to remote control PC <-> XBox or do you want to exchange files? I actually don't understand your question...
Maturola
Novice

WindowsXP Connectin shearing

Post by Maturola »

If you already have your xbox connected to your pc with a ethernet cable, ( make sure that that connection works, i guess yuor using a crossover cable or what MS call xbox link cable) .. then on windows xp you have to "share the Internet connection" . and then on properties of the connection the is somethin like " allow other user to use this connection" or something like that i haven't use Xp in a while.

that way everytime that the xbox want to cennect to the internet and the PC is not connected,,it will start dailing by itself.

IF you don't know how to share you internet connection, use the F1 on Windows and search for "Internet connection shearing".

i hope that help!
Linux Rorcks
http://www.newageps.com
Secure Web Hosting
http://www.fulluptime.com
General Linux Help
http://www.linuxevolution.org
Consolero
Linux User

Post by Consolero »

Kaosannihilator

Ok, I got it now. I can now browse the net on my xbox. Thanks to all for your help.
Consolero
Linux User

Post by Consolero »

No problem