Colors of usb wires for xbox keyboard

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
lovin it!
Adept

Colors of usb wires for xbox keyboard

Post by lovin it! »

I just recently ordered a usb adaptor off of Ebay(yet to recieve it),and plan on buying another one,but till then I wanted to try and get some use out've this old junk keyboard, (still works) and this P.O.S. Madkatz controller(never worked good for me Madcatz = YUK)

anyway...
unfortunately, none of the tutorials I found in my searches covered the wire colors of my two pieces of hardware.
So any help would be GREATLY appreciated, my specs are as follows.

Madcatz controller wire cut off at the controller,wires stripped back plenty for good solid electrical taping...

Black
Red
White
Green
Yellow
unprotected wire - just underneath metal shield(second layer just under outside cover)

Hp Internet Keyboard (dont care bout internet keys...just the normal keyboard stuff :)

Red
White
Green
Yellow
unprotected wire - just underneath metal shield(second layer just under outside cover)

Hopefully I havnt screwed up the keyboard,I have tried a few different ways,getting nothing but blinking lights from the keyboard. (Lights still blink tho) :p

B.T.W.
I typed all this on the XVKBD that comes packaged in ShallaX's GentooX,took ahwile,but its all here :)

thx SHALLAX!
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I trust you have tried the obvious connect the like colours and forget about the black wire.
Red and white should be 5v and gnd and the other two should be + and -
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
lovin it!
Adept

Post by lovin it! »

Doh!
uh,err,...I mean ps2 mouse, is this even possible still?

I should probably just be patient and wait for my adaptor lol

yes Nobspangle,I think I tried every way,was just hoping I overlooked something I guess.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

lovin it! wrote:Doh!
uh,err,...I mean ps2 mouse, is this even possible still?
I don't get it you can't wire a ps2 mouse into a usb port, unless it is a ps2/usb mouse.
M3ATW0D
Linux User

Post by M3ATW0D »

Xbox Controller Port
Red = +5V
Green = Signal(+)
White = Signal(-)
Black = GND
Yellow = Sync (for light guns only)

Standard USB Port
Red = +5V
Green = Signal(+)
White = Signal(-)
Black = GND

So just connect the matching colors and forget the yellow wire for it is not needed.
Drunkn_Munky
Novice

Post by Drunkn_Munky »

it can be done ==> http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/usb-cable.php

unfortunately I found that tut just after I had went and bought a USB keyboard :( I have loads of PS/2 1's
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

This wouldn't have done you any good, it is a strange way of building a usb-xbox convertor.
There is no possible way that you can build a simple convertor that will allow you to plug a ps/2 keyboard or mouse into an xbox.
You have to have either a USB keyboard or a ps/2-USB converter and drivers for the xbox/linux (these converters cost around £25 and are not the same as the green or purple ones you get free with USB keyboards and mice)
Drunkn_Munky
Novice

Post by Drunkn_Munky »

well i have 1 of the purple free ones on my keyboard and it works fine
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

you're missing my point.

Some keyboards are PS/2
some keyboards are USB
some keyboards are both

The keyboards that are ps/2 will not work on the xbox the others will.

It is not possible to make a ps/2 keyboard work on an xbox by soldering some wires together.
foolip

Post by foolip »

nobspangle wrote:you're missing my point.

Some keyboards are PS/2
some keyboards are USB
some keyboards are both

The keyboards that are ps/2 will not work on the xbox the others will.

It is not possible to make a ps/2 keyboard work on an xbox by soldering some wires together.
my Keyboard is PS/2, my mouse is probably "both" but uses a PS/2 connector...would i have success in Gentoox if i connected them up to a normal USB-->Xbox convertor via this dual PS/2 to single USB product?

or will both the mouse and the keyboard need to connect via separate controller ports on my xbox? and thus have their own independant PS/2-->USB-->xbox conversions going on??
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... _uid=55665
shedt
Adept

Post by shedt »

I had a broken mac keyboard which had two female usb ports. when connecting Xbox too usb ports it is all the same, i read some times the wires may be different as far as colors go, but for me they were not. i ignored the yellow wire and that was it.

if the color is different you just strip the xbox part to where the wires meet the controller/port thing, and go by that.

I'm not sure about the usb/ps2 mouses, but i would think that the are just usb 'cause all of them that i seen were really just usb with a ps2 adaptor....