no sound output!

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
chevyflyerfive

no sound output!

Post by chevyflyerfive »

i just installed gentoox and ran magic after a successful installation. i was hoping to use xine or mplayer to play back dvd's, but i can not get any sound output. my xbox is using the hi-definition pack, and i have the sound being output through a digital optical cable. the dvd's play alright, but i can't hear anything through my speaker's. the modules load without any errors on startup, so i am not sure where to go from here. thanks
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Im not sure if digital optical is supported.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
chevyflyerfive

Post by chevyflyerfive »

i have run magic fix on alsa as well as alsa-0.9.2 and then reinstalled both, and during the installation process it says that the driver will support 5.1 dolby. the intel sound driver loads as a module all right, but it doesn't seem to be initialized properly. when i open the sound mixer under kde, it lists threaded oss and standard oss as sound output options (besides autodetect), but if i select either an error appears that says that there has been an error initializing the sound driver and that the device /dev/dsp/ cannot be opened. any thoughts would be appreciated.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I accidentally compiled KDE without alsa support, which is currently being fixed for 3.1, this could be the reason.
roadrash
Pro

Post by roadrash »

is that why i couldnt get codeweavers crossover plugin to work maybe?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

No, I told you with that I spent a weekend recompiling KDE and ARtsD with alsa support.
chevyflyerfive

Post by chevyflyerfive »

if alsa was not compiled for kde, wouldn't it still work for xfce? sound did output when i used the standard stereo a/v kit, but still no output using the high definition kit. i tried an mplayer fix suggested on another thread of enabling ac3 output through the addition of ac=hwac3 in the config file, but now it says that there is no sound device! thanks for the help.
troll

Post by troll »

the same here up dated but still no sound from opta cable???????
timechanter

Have sound from opto but only when booting from CD

Post by timechanter »

Well I thought it was just me. I have sound from the OPTO when running any of the linux Xbox distros from CD. Or even just booting from CD to an E or F fatx install. But if I transfer the boot stuff to E root, everything appears fine but no audio.

I was hoping that this ditro would be different... Well Im off to try it out.
timechanter

Still broken

Post by timechanter »

Well its just like the other distro's . From CD sound, From harddisk zip zero zilch nadda.

After reading some more (on another thread) I've found that the missing bit is that from harddrive the optical out is not mirrioring the analog out. This can be shown by playing a ac3 audio track with mplayer and -ac hwac3 . Sound will appear , but no ac3 will be silent.

Any ideas?