Q: Restoring the XFCE Launch Bar after button reset...

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
mosax

Q: Restoring the XFCE Launch Bar after button reset...

Post by mosax »

How do I restore the XFCE Launch Bar on the bottom of the screen? :shock:

The XFCE Launch Bar is totally empty and I get an program error when trying to add items to it. This happened because I suffer from the 'USBnot-working-at-startup' bug and sometimes have to do a hard reset buttonwise, something that, for some reason, seem to destroy the Launch Bar. :(

I have already reinstalled from scratch once because of this, but is there anyway I can restore it without reinstalling the whole lot?

Would switching to IceWM be an option?

Also, is it possible to make a copy of the file 'rootfs' and only replace that file in the XBOX filesystem to do a full restore of the system (if it crashes again)?

I run Gentoox.ShALLaX.Home-Edition-v3.0c.

Thanks,
MosaX
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

swithing to ice-wm is not really an option you are better off not doing hard resets. If you need to shut down you box and your keyboard/mouse/xpad don't work then ssh in and shut down that way.
You can keep a backup of your rootfs and replace that to restore your system.
I didn't realise there was a usb not working bug. I know there is a bug that stops some boxes booting when controllers are plugged in. But that shouldn't cause you to have to hard reset as you simply unplug the problem controllers before you boot.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

i have investigated the USB problem extensively and i concluded that:

a) standard controllers (white and black above the abxy) if modified or with mem cards in them will cause the USB Hotplugging to stall

b) all s type controllers (the new opposite ones) will cause the USB Hotplugging to stall

c) if you unplug the problem controllers then USB Hotplugging will time back in after about 20 seconds and then continue the boot sequence

d) hard resets are mean to your box :) however if you have not upped your eth0 then your chances of ssh is slim to fall

keep in mind that this is on my box and i dont doubt that with a fonthack or similair system that the results may vary.. (my system is a cromwell bios on a pinheader chip - USB ports have replaced controlers 3 and 4)
127.0.0.1, wherever you go.. there you are!
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

all my controllers are s type and I've never had a problem with usb
If eth0 isn't up then your chances of ssh are 0 as sshd only starts after eth0 is up.
Is the USB problem only when using cromwell or does it happen with other bioses and xrommwell?
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
¡Mysto!
Novice

Post by ¡Mysto! »

See viewtopic.php?t=493

You will need to llog in as root to replace it in \home\gentoox\ I think