Newbie Needs Help with FTP (Sharing dialup connection)

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
MAD_23

Newbie Needs Help with FTP (Sharing dialup connection)

Post by MAD_23 »

First of all, Hi to all of you ppl and thanks to Shallax for making such a nice and easy way to install Gentoox on our Xbox.

I'm a newbie at Linux but not with the Xbox. I can FTP to my xbox to transfer my files back and forth. What I really want is to share my internet connection with my xbox through my network cards and a Crossover Cable. I have everything connected and I've went through the FTP tutorial more then once. But I still can't get it to work. I'm getting frustrated, I've had linux installed since Saturday and I still cant get it to work. I hope to find some help on this forum. I'm not a networking expert either.... I just want to be able to use the internet with Gentoox.....

I'm going to try to give as much info as possible so it's easier for somone to give me a answer and not ask me about my settings.

First I'll tell you about my xbox settings I have a X2lite with the 4977 bios, a Maxtor 80g and also an additional PC DVD-Rom and 2 usb ports.

I have made a F drive installation and I enter gentoox with gentoox.xbe

My FTP settings in Gentoox are: (I use XFce).

File: /etc/conf.d/net

iface_eth0 = "192.168.1.2 broadcast 192.168.1.255
netmask 255.255.255.0"

gateway = "eth0/192.168.1.1

Also in the file: /etc/resolv.conf
I've added this:

nameserver 198.164.30.2
nameserver 198.164.4.2

those are my ISP DNS

I thinks that's it for my xbox settings.

Now with my computer settings:

I have Windows XP PRO, I've shared my internet connection.

My network card settings are:
(network card connected to the xbox with crossover cable)

TCP/IP

IP adress 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.1.255

Preferred DNS Server 198.164.30.2
Alternate DNS Server 198.164.4.2

There again my ISP DNS.

I dont exacly what numbers I need to put on my PC network card TCP/IP.
I've tried a lot of different settings and it never worked. I dont know if anyone could give me set of number that they are using that is actually working. Or maybe there is another tutorial that could help me. It's quite confusing since it's not the same names on XP and Linux.

You might ask why I would want to share my dial-up connection. The reason is because I live Canada in a place where it's impossible for me to get anything else, so I have to deal with it until I can get somthing else. I also do not want to have a to purchase a router and other cables. I know it's possible to do it with what I have, I just need help figuring it out.....

One last question: is it normal that after I boot Gentoox my CPU metter(blue) is full all the way (100%) even when I dont run any program.... what's making my xbox CPU force so much?

Sorry for the LONG post! I hope somone can help me.

Thanks for your time,

MAD_23
eykster
Novice

Post by eykster »

Windows Internet Connection Sharing uses basically a DHCP server to assign client computers an IP and give them a DNS server to use to resolve hostnames. So why don't you set Gentoox to use DHCP? Instead of configuring everything yourself, let it try to automatically set the network up for you? here's a thought though, if you boot gentoox from evolution-x (which i think is necessary, not sure though) set Evo to use DHCP, you can do this right in Evox. Then check on boot up if its giving you an ip! If it is, there's nothing wrong with Win ICS.. if it doesn't, then something's up!

you can private msg me if you like
-if you don't like my fire then don't come around cause i'm gonna burn one down-
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I think with windows ICS you need to set your network to 192.168.0.x it is only very basic ICS software.
eykster's advice is good it is much easier to set up Windows ICS using DHCP that way if you have a network connection you will have Internet. However a static IP is always better on a network as you know the IP addresses of your machines without having to look at them.
You could try getting it working using the DHCP then simply set the xbox IP statically to the one it was assigned by DHCP.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
eykster
Novice

Post by eykster »

i agree, please change the PC NIC card to use IP 192.168.0.1 i'm almost positive he's right and i think this is the root of your problem.
-if you don't like my fire then don't come around cause i'm gonna burn one down-
MAD_23

Post by MAD_23 »

I did change it to 192.168.0.1 but still not luck....... I'm gonna continue trying
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I'm sure you've done this but when you changed the IP on your PC did you also change the IP on your xbox and also the broadcast and gateway addresses?

Failing that try disabling ICS then re-enabling it. Make sure you check the "allow other computers to dial my connection box" then you should find when you turn your xbox on (wihtout even booting gentoox) your PC will dial up to the Internet.

P.S onw thing to bear in mind, you can't share AOL with ICS
MAD_23

Post by MAD_23 »

you were right about the 192.168.0.1 when I disabled and then enable ICS back it told me that, but it still wont work. I'm starting to think maybe it's my internet service provider that doesn't support ICS. I dont have AOL... I have Aliant, and maybe they dont let ppl do that, I'll have to find out, thanks for the help.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

As long as your ISP uses a standard windows dial-up-networking connection to connect you should be able to share it through windows ICS. The reason why AOL can't be shared is because it uses a different way of connecting.

Have you tried setting your xbox to dynamic in evox as eykster suggested, that way you can tell if your PC is providing DHCP. If it isn't then your ICS isn't set up correctly.
MAD_23

Post by MAD_23 »

yes I did to do that like he suggested, but still no luck, I think I'm gonna start all over with my connections....

Thanks
sankito

Post by sankito »

I am also trying to connect my xbox running gentoox home 3.0 to my computer for the purpose of sharing my computer's dial-up connection. However, I am a total Linux newbie so I need some guidance. I am connecting my xbox to my computer with a router, but I have no idea where to even begin with configuring the xbox to see my computer (which is running Windows XP). I have set my computer to share its internet connection so I guess that's all I need to do on that side? So how do I go about configuring Linux to use the computers internet connection? Thanks in advance and also thanks to everyone for making this such a helpful site. I was impressed that I was even able to get Linux up and running on my xbox, seeing as that I had no prior Linux experience.
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

here is a suggestion.. why dont you buy a router? i did it was the best 30$ ive spent since starting the gentoo escapade
127.0.0.1, wherever you go.. there you are!