How to install using mechinstaller hack? Or is it possible?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
mancubus

How to install using mechinstaller hack? Or is it possible?

Post by mancubus »

Hi All:

I was hoping to install this gentooX distro via the mechinstall hack. I got the mechinstall linux running, and I put the GentooX CD in and nothing happens.

I tried mounting it directly with:
mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/D

it seemed to work, and i could read the CD.

since my usb keyboard doesn't seem to work when plugged into the console, i telnetted into the Xbox with my laptop. and i tried running the default.xbe on the CD and got some gibberish.

My question is where do I go from here? do I copy the files over to the HDD and run the install routine from there?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

you need to have a modified xbox either audio/font hack modchip or tsop flash. Then you can put in the gentoox cd run it and it will install gentoox. You could run the stardust install from the mechinstaller linux but you wouldn't be able to run it afterwards.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

For the 100000th time, Xbox-linux wont give me the XBE signing key for the mechinstaller. PLEASE search the forums before posting.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
Desertboy
Novice

Post by Desertboy »

ShALLaX wrote:For the 100000th time, Xbox-linux wont give me the XBE signing key for the mechinstaller. PLEASE search the forums before posting.
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php? ... ,and,linux
Help I haven't got a clue, Linux scares me and I don't know what to double click. Where's My computer, I don't see any setup.exe and my device manager is plain missing.
RalfoX

Post by RalfoX »

I have GentooX running on my "MechInstaller'ed" Xbox. I'm using Xebian's .xbe and a modified initrd.gz

Ralfo
Skunkalaxy
Linux User

Post by Skunkalaxy »

** I wont discuss how to install EvoX again **
Yellow Onion

Post by Yellow Onion »

RalfoX wrote:I have GentooX running on my "MechInstaller'ed" Xbox. I'm using Xebian's .xbe and a modified initrd.gz

Ralfo
Im interested in doing this method could you give me some help implementing it?
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

To give you a slightly more helpful reply, mancubus:

If you don't reflash your bios, you'll always have to keep executing some kind of exploit to allow it to boot into linux (such as the mechinstaller one you've already done). That's the hard part of things. What you need to do now is reflash your bios, which is what the mechinstaller linux is good for. Get yourself a copy of raincoat and the gentoox loader bios (bios from here, raincoat from google) and reflash your bios. After that, you can just stick in the CD, boot normally and the bios will run it so you can install gentoox.
sneakersupplier

wholesale shoes (sneaker)nike,bape,jordan shoes

Post by sneakersupplier »

Our company is a footwear enterprise which combine footwear trade with footwear manufature(www.sneakersupplier.com). For good quality of our products, we bringed in the best production equipments, technologies, and professionals from abroad. We produce over 1000,000 shoes per year. <BR><BR>We can produce various athletic shoes, recreational shoe, stogy, mainly Nike,adidas,timberland,gucci,prada, Luie Vuitton and puma shoes . We can provide Nike Jordan series, Airmax and Shox series.For example: nike airmax 95, airmax 97,airmax 2003, shox TL,shox R4,Shox NZ, Air force one(AF1),Dunk, Kobe,James, Jordan I-XX. All the shoes are packed in original boxes with retro cards, and the tags and style code number are 100% correct. We can not only provide the top quality shoes, but assure you the best price in china on the basic of the equal condition as well.Our business is successfully expanded to United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, Brazil and so on. .