USB Hard Disk Drive

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
trixter
Adept

USB Hard Disk Drive

Post by trixter »

I have read several posts on this forum about installing a USB Hard Disk drive. The posts seem to contain conflicting instructions. I have tried some of this with Home 3.0c and can't seem to get it to work. Does anyone know how to get a removeable USB hard disk drive mounted successfully in Home 3.0c? Thanks.
enf65
Linux User

I reached, but...

Post by enf65 »

Hi,

I had also problem with gentoox 3.0c, and the only solution I have found was to replace the 2.4.22 kernel by the 2.4.20 that was with gentoox 2.0.

You just have to copy the directory /lib/modules from gentoox 2 to gentoox 3 and replace vmlinuz from gentoox 2 to gentoox 3.

If you want to use a vga monitor (my case), you have to use xboxfb that is not present in gentoox 2, so I mixed the two kernels. If anyone want, I can upload my vmlinuz (2.4.20 with xboxfb)
ToeRag
Novice

Re: I reached, but...

Post by ToeRag »

enf65 wrote: If you want to use a vga monitor (my case), you have to use xboxfb that is not present in gentoox 2, so I mixed the two kernels. If anyone want, I can upload my vmlinuz (2.4.20 with xboxfb)

interesting .. I do want to use a VGA monitor with my XBOX; I have found a few sites that discuss building a cable to fit the DB15 connector, however, I was hoping that some 3rd party company would make a pre-fab cable ? Did you make your own?
~ToeRag.
enf65
Linux User

cable

Post by enf65 »

Yes I made my own. It's not too hard to build and it works pretty well under linux, but I didn't reach to use it with xbox games.
DracFlamloc
Linux User

Post by DracFlamloc »

hey, how'd you build that DB15 convertor? I want to give it a shot. What was the link? =)
enf65
Linux User

links

Post by enf65 »

Here is a howto with general information :

http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/docs/howtovga.html

And here is a good tutorial to build a cable :

http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/vga-cable.php