Gentoox and XBMC xbox issues (2 xbox's total)

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
nutmonkey

Gentoox and XBMC xbox issues (2 xbox's total)

Post by nutmonkey »

Ok I have one xbox that I softmodded (MA gamesave) I have XBMC on it, another xbox I have Gentoox PRO (latest version) with TSOP flash (Cromwell 2.40). Gentoox seems to be working ok I have Samba setup my windows PCs see it fine. I can ssh into the Gentoox box just fine even with the other xbox on the network and powered on; even with the other xbox powered on and in XBMC. As soon as I start watching a movie with XBMC (Streaming the movie from a Win 2003 Server box) it kills my connection to Gentoox. Everything is running via 1 linksys router (dd-wrt) if I set up a ping to the Gentoox box you can see the pings timeout as soon as the movie starts streaming. My original plans was to use the Gentoox box as a NAS to put movies/tv shows on but if I dont get this fixed there will be none of that.

Thanks in advance, also I have been modding xboxs for 4 or 5 years in every fashion however I have always wanted to give Gentoox a shot and now I wish I would have a long time ago... pretty sweet stuff.
clpalmer
Power user

Re: Gentoox and XBMC xbox issues (2 xbox's total)

Post by clpalmer »

I used to run the same setup and had no problems with it. I recently changed the server to a beefier one, as I wanted to do PVR stuff and the XBox could only seem to download from newsgroups at ~400-500kB/s but my cable connection gets more like 1.2-1.3MB/s on the new server.

In any case, I ran XBMC on the frontend downstairs and connected via a ethernet->802.11g wireless bridge to the wireless router (just acting as another bridge in this case) upstairs that was wired to the XBox server running gentoox and even through all that it streamed movies fine.

Can you stream them without issue from your desktop? If so, have you tried swapping the network connection, switching the cable, etc? Doubtful, I know, but... =) Also, how old is your XBMC, and can you try upgrading it if it's not fairly new?

If you can't stream from your desktop either, then I'd assume it's a server or router issue. Does your router have any firewall or traffic limiting stuff turned on? If so, can you turn all that off and just use it like a basic hub?

Not sure what else to try. Maybe look at /var/log/messages and see if there's anything funny being reported there. I now have the server running gentoo, which is pretty much the same thing, and I have the same xbox connected downstairs through wireless and the old server now running XBMC upstairs on a wired connection and both can stream videos (and mythtv) fine.
nutmonkey

Post by nutmonkey »

I can stream without any issues, I can even share the DVD-Rom put a retail DVD in and stream that. I was running a little bit older version of XBMC but I figured why not update to the latest just to see if it was a glitch, so now I am running their latest build. I am using my Linksys (DD-Wrt) as a Gateway connecting to DSL via PPPoE and other than that there is nothing fancy turned on, just in case I switched the router out with a Layer2 switch with cables that I had just made and still the same thing. All this was done before I posted by the way lol.....

I dont know whats going on, last night after tying the above post I tried to access the shares on the Gentoox xbox via the xbmc xbox and the funny thing is it can see the Gentoox box. However when I try and add a new source in XBMC it sees the name "Gentoo" (what I named it) but it wont connect to it. All my windows mahcines can see the Gentoox box read files, stream movies, and even create/write data to the smb share. Before when I installed Gentoox Home everything was fine. This is just strange that nothing has changed but the Type of Gentoo on that box (ie: went from Home to Pro) and now I have to stop watching a movie just to connect to the Gentoo Pro box which defeats the whole purpose if me setting up another Linux Box. Oh and my other Linux machine (reg. pc) can connect to xbox just fine.

Also Thanks for your reply, your assistance is apriciated!
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

I'm at a loss =/ Can't say I've ever seen that kind of problem. Have you tried changing the cache sizes of the streams in XBMC and see if that helps. Still shouldn't can your connection, but maybe it'd do as a workaround =/
nutmonkey

Post by nutmonkey »

Ok I did figure one thing out it's not Gentoox I re-installed the xbox w/ Xebian and I still have the same problem. I have posted a thread in the XBMC bug forum, if anyone has any suggestions I am open to them..