HOWTO: IceWM (Smaller & faster than XFCE, w/ KDE menus)

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Sniper Fox
Adept

Post by Sniper Fox »

Craxx wrote:@Sniper Fox - Please help!!

best regards
Craxx;)
Sorry bud, I've never used idesk. Why spoil a nice minimal window manager with needless bloat like desktop icons and background wallpaper (who wants a giant jpeg / png image loaded all the time? :roll: )

Instead, just put:

Code: Select all

xsetroot blue
or your favorite color in your .xinitrc / xstartup file for a plain, yet colorful background.
Craxx
Novice

Post by Craxx »

How i get a background i know. I have 128MB Ram so i use xfce and it works very well with KDE progs. ICWM didn´t work well with KDE Progs.

THX and best regards
Craxx;)
Sniper Fox
Adept

Post by Sniper Fox »

In my screenshot I've displayed Konqueror, Kwrite and Kmines. If IceWM didn't work too well with KDE programs, your mileage CERTAINLY varied from what I had.
PITABoy

icewmcp

Post by PITABoy »

cp is control panel it looks good i havent used it yet but it only has to emerge 4 packages and they are small 1 am useing home if that makes any difference. if sounds like it will do everything that tools will you might want to try it
Always help noobies, you too were once one!
linuxinit

Post by linuxinit »

You all can call me crazy, but why not just download the icewm source and its two dependencies sources and config, make, and install them manually. I did that, and it only took about 15 minutes total, and thats with no hardware upgrades. Its just easier and faster that way (If you know what you are doing). I can understand using emerge to install gnome or something, it has 20 something packages. Is there any advantage to using emerge, besides it being automated, because all I see are disadvantages, like taking 4 days to config, make, and install icewm. I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, but I must be missing out on some feature or something.

linuxinit
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

i think emerge just optimizes it for your system?
linuxinit

Post by linuxinit »

the optimizing must take 3 days ;)
its not worth 3 days to me unless it makes a huge difference, but you can run custom configure commands.

linuxinit
roofus
Novice

Post by roofus »

linuxinit wrote:the optimizing must take 3 days ;)
its not worth 3 days to me unless it makes a huge difference, but you can run custom configure commands.

linuxinit
The 3 days is for people who started from a pro version, so the qt libraries that come preinstalled on the home version needed to compile. Hence the 60+ hour compile time. Of course there's a warning about that when you install pro.

SO, future forward you want icewm, then install home first and go from there, you can always remove what you don't want.
If this is your first day and you're making your first post, you haven't spent enough time reading.

We were all noobs, once.