Harddrive full - no access!

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
cyesergio
Linux User

Harddrive full - no access!

Post by cyesergio »

Hi sorry if this has been asked before...I couldn't find it using search.

A while ago I setup a headless file server using an old xbox and gentoox.
No problems.

But now I can't access the xbox anymore. No SSH no nothing (I think it doesn't even complete the boot cycle) and I suspect it's because the harddrive is full (it was at 90% before I left, stupid me). The server is in Holland and I'm in Brazil right now, so I can't get physical access to my setup. However, my mother's files are on there and now she can't get access.

I was going to ask one of my (more computer literate) friends to go over and see what's up, but none of them know linux.

What are possible solutions for this situation? Atleast to get the files of the drive.

Thanks so much in advance!

Cye
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Re: Harddrive full - no access!

Post by ShALLaX »

Get them to try running sparkle to clean the filesystem. If this doesn't work, try booting resctoox and sshing into it.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
rbsfou
Novice

Post by rbsfou »

Hey you do visit your forums!

Can you spare some time to answer my xbox specific questions? Such as:

1. What .config do you use to compile the kernel? (I need to compile extra modules for stuff like nfs)
2. Where has the xbv tool (used to set xbox video encoder chip on the fly) gone? (I got it from xbox-linux cvs, but some seem to think it is included?)
3, Is 32k cluster FatX filesystems a problem, or is something wrong with my partition table? (It is the standard 8gb < F < 137gb @16k clusters - which mounts ok - with everything else as 'G' @32k clusters - which does not)
4. How can i change GentooX to allow specifying image filename for the rootfs as a kernel parameter? (I've never worked much with initrd's)
4. Are you a clever C person? If so, could you get your version of cromwell to use (e.g.) gentooboot,cfg, so it is easier to multiboot GentooX and X-DSL (both distros want to modify the same file!)
5. As above, but for allowing a PC-MBR partition table for native partitions, after G

Also, i know there probably is a reason, as i have to use 2.4 on my ARM PDA's for stuff like suspend to work OK, but is there a reason why linux distros use 2.4 when patches for early 2.6 kernels exist?

Thanks!
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

rbsfou wrote:Hey you do visit your forums!

Can you spare some time to answer my xbox specific questions? Such as:

1. What .config do you use to compile the kernel? (I need to compile extra modules for stuff like nfs)
2. Where has the xbv tool (used to set xbox video encoder chip on the fly) gone? (I got it from xbox-linux cvs, but some seem to think it is included?)
3, Is 32k cluster FatX filesystems a problem, or is something wrong with my partition table? (It is the standard 8gb < F < 137gb @16k clusters - which mounts ok - with everything else as 'G' @32k clusters - which does not)
4. How can i change GentooX to allow specifying image filename for the rootfs as a kernel parameter? (I've never worked much with initrd's)
4. Are you a clever C person? If so, could you get your version of cromwell to use (e.g.) gentooboot,cfg, so it is easier to multiboot GentooX and X-DSL (both distros want to modify the same file!)
5. As above, but for allowing a PC-MBR partition table for native partitions, after G

Also, i know there probably is a reason, as i have to use 2.4 on my ARM PDA's for stuff like suspend to work OK, but is there a reason why linux distros use 2.4 when patches for early 2.6 kernels exist?

Thanks!
1. It's included in the /usr/src/linux directory (as .config).
2. It's no longer supported (it only worked with Conexant encoders)
3. G should work, not sure why it's not.
4. You'd have to mount the initrd and modify the linuxrc file
4_2. I could change Gentoox Loader to do that, but that would be introducing multiple standards, so no... I'm not going to change it. Instead, you can add multiple entries into linuxboot.cfg.
5. Native partitions work fine.

2.6 has no FatX (stable) driver. I recently ported the FatX driver to the latest 2.6 kernel, but it was slow and buggy... I haven't had time to work on it in the past couple of weeks.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo