Using a 2.6 kernel

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
agaffney

Using a 2.6 kernel

Post by agaffney »

I've recently installed GentooX Pro 4.2 on a 1.3 xbox I just picked up. I'm using the ltools/UDE softmod, so I did an E-drive install.

I've been a Gentoo user for 5 years, so I started my "standard procedure" for updating any Gentoo system. I made a few tweaks to my /etc/make.conf (mostly USE flags), switched my /etc/make.profile link to a profile that exists, and I started using emerge to do updates.

I've now got all of system and most of world updated, but I'm running into a few problems due to the 2.4.x kernel. For example, I can't mount anything via NFS anymore (like my portage tree), because the new version of util-linux is so much newer than the kernel. I get a kernel message about the mount program not passing the address.

Because of this issue (and a few others), I wanted to switch to a 2.6 kernel. From what I've read, the FATX driver is very slow in the 2.6 kernels, but that was back in 2.6.11. The latest version of xbox-sources in the tree is 2.6.16.26. I've built multiple kernels based on the xbox-linux.org xbox_defconfig with all the necessary stuff (FATX, reiserfs, loop, forcedeth, nvidia xbox framebuffer, framebuffer console support, etc.) built into the kernel (as opposed to modules like most of it was in the xbox_defconfig).

However, when I actually try to boot it, GentooX Loader will show it loading /vmlinux_26 and /initrd.gz, and then nothing at all happens. The ring around the eject button just blinks green and the GentooX Loader never disappears. I've even tried using netconsole to get some output from the kernel, but I get nothing. It seems to be like the kernel isn't loading at all.

Has anyone tried a new-ish 2.6 kernel and actually got it booted?
agaffney

Re: Using a 2.6 kernel

Post by agaffney »

Okay, this is even more annoying. I just did a rebuild of the 2.4.34.2 kernel that came with GentooX. The only thing I changed was to enable 802.11 support. That kernel is behaving the same way that my 2.6 kernel did. The GentooX Loader will say it's loading /vmlinux_24, then /initrd.gz, and then...nothing. It just sits there on the same screen.

Is there some trick to building a kernel for the xbox that I'm missing?