GentooX Pro

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
leperkuan
Linux User

GentooX Pro

Post by leperkuan »

I just installed gentoox pro, i loved it. Im in the blind with magic... i ran code magic, it updated, restarted, updated, then restarted again. it asked me if i wanted kde(no) xfce(yes) icewm(no) then it says its emerging 120 (packages?) is it just updating old packages and then installing xfce or what? I'm sort of a Newb ive used slackware on and off for a few years but my main interest is to run a lampp server on the xbox.

Also im interested, ive read around the web gentoox doesnt support 128mb ram, has this changed.

Also can i get an explanation of the CPULoad??? flashing lights on the front... since i ran magic im at load average: 1.68, 1.47, 1.41 and im assuming green red yellow fast is overload??
xbox 1.5 duox2 40gb HD
clpalmer
Power user

Re: GentooX Pro

Post by clpalmer »

Emerge is the SW package management system for Gentoo. It's going through all the SW packages and installing the latest versions.

Gentoo supports as much RAM as you care to throw at it, as does pretty much any linux distro. However, the XBOX only has room for 128MB on the board, and if it's a 1.6, you can't even install the other 64MB so you're stuck with 64.

Not sure on all the presets for the cpuload flashies, but you can modify them if you care to. Green is low, yellow medium, red high, though.
leperkuan
Linux User

Post by leperkuan »

Good to know, i really am looking into the memory upgrade, i have an extra xbox with a dead psu and cd-rom sitting around.

Isnt there a command to configure the xserver automatically
xbox 1.5 duox2 40gb HD
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

It's just like any other pc. If you install more memory, cromwell will pick it up on it's own and you're good to go. Nothing to do but solder the chips on.
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Hmm. Think I misunderstood what you meant by that last question. What do you mean by "Isn't there a command configure the xserver automatically?". If you mean for video modes and such, then xbvset is your man. Otherwise, you'll have to clarify.
leperkuan
Linux User

Post by leperkuan »

i beleive thats it, what i was getting at was in installed xfce through magic and i run start x and it says i have to configure x and i couldnt remember if there was a script to automatically configure x because the last time i have done that was mandrake 8 and i had to do it manual
xbox 1.5 duox2 40gb HD