Invalid Atom?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
lateralus
Novice

Invalid Atom?

Post by lateralus »

whenever i try to emerge something from a package (not already installed) i get a little message that pops up saying there's an invalid atom:

--- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.use: Calculating
Calculating dependencies \
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "file i'm emerging".

I've ran magic and gentoox is fully updated but when i specifically emerge portage it runs but then it says there are config files that need to be updated.

* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
* IMPORTANT: 6 config files in '/etc' need updating.
* See the CONFIGURATION FILES section of the emerge
* man page to learn how to update config files.

now i have tried but i cannot seem to find the "emerge man page" so if someone out there knows how to update config files that would be a lot of help as i am sure it would solve my problem.

thank's lateralus
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

You can run etc-update to interactively update your config files. However, keep in mind that it's not a fully automated process. You'll likely want to just accept the new versions of most of the files, but if you've modified anything or have any specific settings in there, you'll have to merge them and make sure you don't overwrite your changes.

That's probably not your problem, though. The "...files in /etc need updating" thing is quite common after emerging components. It just means that the new version of the component you emerged has a new config file, so instead of just blatting over the existing one, it's warning you that you should have a look at it to make sure it's not going to overwrite your personal settings/tweaks/etc.

Modifying log files and debug statments to include things like "file I'm emerging" or simply deleting chunks isn't going to help us help you. Please post the rest of the output and maybe someone can help further. We're not here to criticize you for doing an "emerge pr0n" and trying to figure out why it won't work =)
sneakersupplier

Sell Nike,Jordan,Air force 1 sneaker

Post by sneakersupplier »

Nike air force 1 ones, Air Jordan shoes, Nike dunks, Air Max Shox, Bape Hoodies - We supply brand shoes (air max, jordan,nike shox,adidas, af1, bape, dunk, gucci, prada, puma, timberland, etc), bags, jeans, hoodies, shirts.