Media center advice

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
raungst

Media center advice

Post by raungst »

I currently use my xbox for playing roms, listening to music and watching movies. I'm currently using XBMC. I really want to switch to either gentoo or gentoox, but I'm worried about losing functionality I currently have.

Has anyone had a lot of experience with freevo on the xbox? This is what I want to switch to, but I'm worried about its speed on the xbox.

Does digital audio output work under linux?

Also, my xbox is connected to my network using microsoft's xbox wireless adapter. Is there any support for this under linux?

Thanks for your help.
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

If all you do is play roms, listen to music and watch movies, then, honestly, don't change from XBMC. I started out wanting to set up my box for that same purpose and since I already had another box on gentoox, I automatically decided to go that route again.

It ended up being too slow and too much of a hassle for me. Takes ages (in comparison) to boot up, pretty much needs keyboard and mouse if you don't want to bang your head against the wall using the joypad, runs slower, harder to manage and start the basic tools I wanted and not as nice interface.

Linux was designed for PC and you're trying to tweak it, poke it, prod it and otherwise bend it to be nicely usable on XBox. XBMC and the emulators were designed for XBOX. You're not gonna be able to rival their usability for that fact alone.

If you want other stuff, like a more full featured web browser than linksbox (seriously, who needs an easier interface than that? =) or whatever else you might want, then by all means, go ahead. It is usable. But if all you want to do is what you listed above, then stay with what you have. I ended up going back to XBMC for my front end. I still have gentoox on the server, though, and it's great =)