Native Install

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
bean72

Native Install

Post by bean72 »

Hi
First of all I'll explain my situation,
I have a v1.6a xbox, with a 300gb HD installed in it, softmodded. I was looking to have Gentoox with a native install, as I dont really care about playing games on it anymore. But for some reason rootfs always fails when I try to do that type of install, only install to E and F works. I was just wondering if there was a solution to having more than 4gbs of space. Can I just keep doing "magic newfs" till I use up all of my F drive, or can I convert it to a native install? I believe I can convert, but I have heard of people having problems with a native install on a v1.6. I'm not very familiar with linux, but I'm willing to do what it takes to figure this out.
Thanks.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

if native doesn't work, why don't you just stick with E or F install(you even said that 1.6 might work bad with native)? Gentoox will work with them too ya know ;) (can't say if there's any speed difference)
bean72

Post by bean72 »

I would still like to try the native install, as it does make a performance difference, as stated in the install.txt file. But since I cant install from scratch without getting an error, is there a way I can convert my current install to native?
bean72

Post by bean72 »

Maybe there is a solution to my installation problems.
Im getting "read error in the file /mnt/temp/distro.rar" When its in the middle of copying rootfs. I tried burning 2 dvd's without success, I even connected my xbox to a separate PC DVD drive. It only does this when I select the Native install. Is there any way I can FTP these files to my xbox first, then run the installation script after the point where the files are copied to E?

I would really like to get this going, so far I like Gentoox, but I'm only limited to 4gb :(
Iceczd

Post by Iceczd »

Same Problem here, native install isn't working

-here is my specs

xbox v.1
500gig seagate 16mb cache
-Formatted F @ 137 gigs rest on G
X-Bit modchip running m8 but that shouldnt matter.

someone please help us
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

I did a native install following cheesyboofs tutorial (another thread). There's an issue (also described in several other threads) that prevents copying the whole file system in one go for some reason. It'll crash every so often. Just copy it bit by bit and if it fails, delete the last bit and try again. It's a bit tedious, but it only seems to be an issue with the first install.

Once it's installed, I haven't seen a single issue, and the box is on 24/7 as a file/web/ftp/etc server.
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

I think this copying thing is some bug unrelated to my post or the process
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

No, it's definitely nothing to do with your guide or the steps in it. It's a bug somewhere (I assume) in the fatx drivers, as it's only when copying from the FATX rootfs mounted file system that I saw the crash. Since then, with native partitions, I haven't seen any problems.
hercules
Linux User

Re: Native Install

Post by hercules »

I would try the howto: fully native cheesyboofs gave, with me it worked fine.
The problem you got with the rootfs file might be the same i've hab with the fireftp, it cannot ftp more than 2gb. i changed to flashfxp and it worked!