DHCP failing with Loader

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
clpalmer
Power user

DHCP failing with Loader

Post by clpalmer » Mon May 14, 2007 7:19 pm

Been ages since I've done this, but I got a second xbox and I'm trying to get gentoox up and running on it. Bought it softmodded running avalaunch so after awhile I figured out how to get 007 mini-tux to boot so I could flash the gentoox loader. So far so good. Unfortunately it's an older tompson drive so it doesn't read my CDR's for shizzle.

Got a couple of things to try. Gonna burn a DVD with resctoox and hopefully that'll boot as the thompson's are supposed to read DVDR better than CDR.

The other option is to do a web/net boot. The issue there is that loader seems to fail DHCP and be un-reachable when it says it assigns a static IP. Not sure if it's set to respond to pings or not, but I can't ping it at 1.13 either. Not sure why it fails DHCP as the router is set up fine and avalaunch/evox/xbmc/etc all get DHCP addy's no problem. The DHCP network is set to 192.168.1.100-1.199 with 255.255.255.0 subnet.

Any idea why it would fail in loader or what I can do from that point?

clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer » Mon May 14, 2007 7:20 pm

Also, is the steps in webboothack.txt still valid? Not sure how old that txt file is or if it's still good for the newest loader.

clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer » Mon May 14, 2007 7:23 pm

Hrm, just looked at the steps again and they don't seem to load a root fs. Is netboot gonna work for me if I want to do FTP install? Or do I really need to get it to boot from the CD?

clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer » Thu May 17, 2007 9:50 pm

Got a burnt DVD to work, can ignore this thread.