Hey Everyone, first post, w00t!
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am having the same identical problem as well. I installed GentooX just the other night for the first time, via the FTPing of distro.rar's contents to the root of E:\ and had no problem getting to KDE, and since re-did it all to use XFCE again since. Either instance didn't fix the problem for me, but essentially I can't seem to resolve the DNS either.
I have tried searching on the forums already. Have double checked and tried a few different settings in both /etc/conf.d/net and /etc/resolv.conf.
Router is a LinkSys WRT54GP2 VoIP model.
All Pings too and from the Xbox are 100% successful. Firefox on the Xbox can even log into the router's html based config pages.
config_eth0=( "dhcp" )
#config_eth0=( "192.168.15.103 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.15.255" )
[[[[Have attempted un-commenting the specified IP and commented dhcp, no change either way]]]]
fallback_eth0=( "192.168.15.103 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.15.255" )
fallback_route_eth0=( "default via 192.168.15.1" )
and /etc/resolv.conf =
# Generated by dhcpcd for interface eth0
[[[[Yes I have tried removing the shown 3 name servers and placed just the router's IP there, as well as adding the router's first in order with the shown other 3 nameservers. Yes all IP's are correct. Yes Nameserver 3 is the same as nameserver 1.]]]]
And I had not tried the sudo /etc/conf.d/net.eth0 restart command before hand but have since just discovering this particular thread. before hand I would SSH with PuTTy which is what I use to edit the conf files, sudo ifconfig eth0 down, then before executing, pre-type it in over VNC on terminal window in xfce, get ready with focus for xvkbd, so all I had to do was hit A while hovering over Enter with the Xpad to run sudo ifconfig eth0 up.
Defenitley liking the net.eth0 restart command better though, LOL.
Any suggestions as to what else to try?
If it is a problem with the router as last suggested, any guesses as to what the problem might be exactly? I've ran most flavours of Linux on my other machines with no DHCP problems and both Linux and Windows alike can get the DNS IP's and such from the router..so..not sure what else to try other then maybe adding the Xbox to the router's DMZ.
My Router itself is set to obtain the IP settings automatically from my cable modem/ISP, so not too sure where else the problem could be.. If I find a solution meanwhile I'll post back. Thanks, and so sorry for the long/detailed post, repeated info I realize, but I've on the other hand have always been one for details. That and you never know when one finds something they didn't already know even after reading it the first 500 times around in a thread. lol.