MCE install started, interrupted, F + G partition corrupt.

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Smidley
Linux User

MCE install started, interrupted, F + G partition corrupt.

Post by Smidley »

I started to install MCE 1.3 thinking it would be the same as Home. All of the sudden I notice that it's formatting my drive. It would have been nice if there was some sort of prompt before it started formatting, like "Drive will be formatted. Are you sure you want to continue?"

Anyhow, I stopped the install while it was formatting to try and salvage what I could, and surprisingly, I was able to salvage quite a bit. So I backed up what I could, reformatted the entire drive under X3LiveConfig (which I think only does a "quick" format), and tried to FTP everything back. The problem is that when the G drive gets to a certain capacity (~80GB remaining), files stop transferring. I get 550 file errors in FlashFXP, but files actually get overwritten when I use Filezilla.

I'm not a newb, so don't flame. I just need to know how to get my drive back to allow me to use the G partition's full capacity without any data corruption. Do I need to do a more in depth format somehow? I really don't have the time or patience to RMA this drive.

1.2/1.3 Xbox, X3CE, 500GB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. Regarding the title, there was some corruption on the F partition, but it seems to be OK now compared to the G partition.
Smidley
Linux User

Post by Smidley »

If I hook the drive up to my pooter and do a full format, would that fix it?
Smidley
Linux User

Post by Smidley »

I hooked it up, and it passed a full diagnostic using UBCD with flying colors. Currently doing a full format (as in not "quick"), and I'll report back.
Smidley
Linux User

Post by Smidley »

I really thought it might work, but it didn't.

I can't say with 100% certainty that I caused this with the MCE install, but I can't seem to add anything else to the partition when all but 79.35 GB have been used. The partition was about that full when I tried to install MCE, so I can only be mostly certain.
Smidley
Linux User

Post by Smidley »

Thanks to anyone who's been reading this, but I seem to be having this problem. I hope this will help someone else in the future.