the 4 GB loopback partition bottleneck

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
rakalle

the 4 GB loopback partition bottleneck

Post by rakalle »

Hi,

First of all, thanks for all the great job done in this project. Having a full working operating system in 64 MB of RAM is something good for people like me with limited econimical resources. In these days, the wasting of resources is enormous (1024 MB for having a new OS working propertly is too much)

My question. I'm using Gentoox with amule-daemon (it's almost identical to e-mule p2p protocol). Well, the problem is that saving files directly into F: fatx partition doesn't work fine, and files bigger than 8 MB aren't processed propertly.

The partial solution I've found is make a 4GB "magic newfs" loopback partition for temporary dowloads, and another one for finished dowloads. They are mounted in /temp and /incoming, and amule daemon seems to work.

The problem is that the temporary loopback partition gets full quickly, and I need to merge two or three of these partitions into the same directory path. How can I do it? (using a native F: installation is not a good solution for me because the media center player can't access this kind of loopback files, and these loopback files have to share the partition with my multimedia files to be played)

The "lollo78" solution I've read seems to be very complex. There is another way more easy to do the same merging?

Thanks!
rakalle

maybe the FATX restriction names?

Post by rakalle »

I think that could be an illegal FATX name (too long i.e)
Nevertheless, the loopback file partition merging into one path is an interesting issue if anyone has the response.
dopey
Novice

Post by dopey »

You could try lvm2, but I've never tried it with a loopback device. Really Fatx is extremely slow as it is and I think you are asking too much from a really limited system...

Personally I don't save anything to the Xbox hard drve (including root), as as the Xfat file system is way too slow, except for the swap partition (can't be helped really). I use an NFS root which is hosted by one of my other linux servers and smb shares for storage/music/movies/etc.