Hacked?! need to reset my root pw

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
cyesergio
Linux User

Hacked?! need to reset my root pw

Post by cyesergio »

Hey guys,

Uhm, I feel kind of embarassed asking this question. I think somebody hacked my xbox server and changed my root pw. There's nothing useful on it yet (well some stuff). How do I reset my gentoox password. And do you guys have any specific tips or pointers on security?

Thanks in advance,

Cye
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

dang that stucks.

Im not sure but you might be able to just inject your own password hash into the /etc/passwd file (or is it /etc/shadow)

either way, I would suggest you backup your data then completely reinstall, you can never trust that box after it has been compromised.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Boot up Resctoox, mount your Gentoox installation, chroot to it and then run `passwd`.

Security - dont let other people use your box. Dont even bother trying to recover your installation, just start again. The chances that the guy installed a rootkit are rather high :/
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
cyesergio
Linux User

Post by cyesergio »

ShALLaX wrote:Boot up Resctoox, mount your Gentoox installation, chroot to it and then run `passwd`.

Security - dont let other people use your box. Dont even bother trying to recover your installation, just start again. The chances that the guy installed a rootkit are rather high :/
Geez...ok thanks for the tip