Massive logging activity?!?!

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
raid517
Novice

Massive logging activity?!?!

Post by raid517 »

Hi, after every 3 or 4 reboots, I get multiple error messages that several modules have failed to load because there is 'no more space left on the disk.' I quickly uncovered that this was because there were several huge 700MB+ log files in /var/log. How can I prevent this excessive logging behavior - and if needed perhaps even disable my logger entirely?

I don't really need a logger, as apart from this Gentoo is running 100% stably.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

emerge has a program (cant remember the name) that will log rotate for you, and even compress your log files when it does this, thus making those log files, much much smaller
raid517
Novice

Post by raid517 »

Can anybody remember the name, or how to use it? Why would Gentoox not have it installed by default anyway in such a space limited system? Letting the log files grow out of control like this on such a space limited system doesn't make much sense.

Alternatively, can I safely uninstall my logger? If so how? I don't really need it as the system is 100% stable and I have no plans to change or do any major updates for pretty much the remainder of the foreseeable future.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »