newb question about network and gentoox

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
acartledge

newb question about network and gentoox

Post by acartledge »

i have just installed gentoox on my xbox and am having network trouble. I read the tut but am having trouble saving, something to do with i don't have permission. I had a thought that it might have been a read only problem or something like that as i am logged in as root.

I have done an e: install instead of native, could his be an an issue?

Sorry to bug everyone, i am a newb to linux and don't get it all, i am just trying to give myself a technical challenge.

Thanks
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

login as root and try again (root is a user, the highest user infact, like admin only real) the default password will be xbox
127.0.0.1, wherever you go.. there you are!
spathi
Novice

Post by spathi »

can you give us some more details?

what type of network problem are you having? can you write down any error messages or tell us any symptoms?

the more info you give us the easier it will be to help :)

you don't need to apologise for being new to linux.. everyone is at some point..
Linux - In a world without fences, who needs GATES?
acartledge

root

Post by acartledge »

ok, here is my stoopid question. How do i login as root?? When i boot up gentoox it logs me straight in and I can't see where to log in. I tried to open konsole to login using the su - command and am having real problems achieving anything.

What I want to know is why can't i open the net file in an editor in kde and have it save for me. I open /etc/conf.d/net and can edit it but when i go to save i have no permission.

I assume this has to do with being logged in as root not gentoox. So how do i, in KDE, log in as root?

Sorry if i am being daft, but i really like the look of this linux and would find it helpful, if only i can get the windows out of my brain!!

Thanks
spathi
Novice

Post by spathi »

you'd be correct in assuming you need root access to edit the net file, luckily this is easy enough to achieve.

you have a few options here, you can:

1). open a terminal and su from kde while logged in as gentoox.

2). you can log out of kde, return to a console login prompt and log in to kde as root and edit the file like that

3). switch to a console and login as root and edit the file from the console with pico.

choose one of these and go with it :)

--

for 1: open a terminal window (kterm) in kde, type su. it will prompt you for a password, the default password is xbox (unless you have changed it). once su'ed you can edit the file by running an editing app in the terminal window.

Note: su'ing to root in a terminal window while logged in as a normal user does not mean you can run programs as root just by using the menu. only programs run via the terminal will be run by root.

run an editor (this can be kedit, or a console editor such as pico). running kedit would be straight forward, type kedit. after a while kedit should load. this kedit window will have root access and you should be fine to open and save any files.

once your done, close kedit, and type 'exit' or ctrl-d to end your root session (or just close the terminal window).

--

2. click the 'k' and choose 'log off gentoox'. your x session should end and you should find yourself sitting at a login prompt or at a shell prompt. if your at a shell prompt press ctrl-d or type 'exit', otherwise continue. once your at a login prompt, you can type in 'root' as the user, and 'xbox' as the pass (unless you have changed it). once your at a prompt, type 'startx' to start kde. you can now run all programs in kde as root. becareful though, do what you need to and then change back to another user. using root all the time is a bad habit :)

--

3. while logged into kde as gentoox, press ctrl-alt-F1. you will be brought to a console login prompt. from here you can log in as root, and then edit the file with your fave editor, such as vi or pico. (something like pico -w /file/your/trying/to/edit should work fine). just for interest sake you will notice you can press alt-f2 straight through to alt-f6 and these all bring you new console login screens. you can infact login with different users on all these screens. if you need to get back to your kde session, simply press alt-f7.

--

sorry for all the grammar and spelling mistakes, i hope one of these is useful :) if you need any more help or something needs to be clarified just post :)
Last edited by spathi on Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux - In a world without fences, who needs GATES?
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

dont feel silly dude we all start somewhere, im sorry i did not fully explain myself i just did not realise that you where a windows convert :) you will pick it up quick enough
127.0.0.1, wherever you go.. there you are!
acartledge

thanks guys!!

Post by acartledge »

Got it working! well at least i managed to change the ip, your help is invaluable to a newbie. Appreciate it.

Does anyone know a good website where i can learn linux commands and stuff?
xbox v1.1
60 gig hd
matrix inside
evox latest
x2 4977
gentoox
usb mod