Samba shares not complying with the access rights.

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
000g
Novice

Samba shares not complying with the access rights.

Post by 000g »

I have numerous shares within my Samba server.

I had them all set so that only I had read/write access, everyone else only had read access.

Now I have 2 roomates, and I'd like to give them access to their own folders on the server. So they can put whatever they want on the thing.

However, when I do this, and I grant them read/write access, they're still not able to write to the given folders.

I'm stumped.

Usernames:
Me = Root
They = Gentoox

Here's a screenshot of what I'm dealing with.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Is /mnt/fatx/g mounted with umask=0000 ?
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
000g
Novice

Post by 000g »

ShALLaX wrote:Is /mnt/fatx/g mounted with umask=0000 ?
I have no idea. I'm at work right now. I'll check that when I get home tonight.

However, not all of the shares are on the G drive. In fact, if my memory serves me correctly, I think the "Craig" and "Jeremy" shares are on the F drive.

(thanks for the reply)
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Theyre on "g" according to your screenshot. If theyre not, then you have your shares setup to point to the wrong path... hence your error.
000g
Novice

Post by 000g »

ShALLaX wrote:Theyre on "g" according to your screenshot. If theyre not, then you have your shares setup to point to the wrong path... hence your error.
lol. A guy here at work just called me out on the fact that the folders are on the G drive (as per the screenshot).

I guess my memory didn't serve me correctly.

The share paths are correct. I was just wrong as to which drive the folders were located on.
000g
Novice

Post by 000g »

ShALLaX wrote:Is /mnt/fatx/g mounted with umask=0000 ?
Ok. You got me. I have no idea how to check this.

I tried looking in hardware tab, and then into "Partitions on local disks". But it didn't show me this info.

Where should I be looking?

On a side note. I just attempted to give the usernames "Gentoox", and "root", read/write capabilities to the "My Programs" folder (which is located on the F drive), and I got the same results. I can read/write with the "root" username, but not the "Gentoox" username.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

You should be looking in /etc/fstab for the umask options.

Have you restarted samba since configuring it? Id stop using Webmin, if I were you. Configure it through SSH.
000g
Novice

Post by 000g »

ShALLaX wrote:You should be looking in /etc/fstab for the umask options.

Have you restarted samba since configuring it? Id stop using Webmin, if I were you. Configure it through SSH.
Yes. I've restarted the Samba server. I do that after every change.

I don't have a TV hooked up to this Xbox. Everything I've ever done to it, as far as settings and what-not, has been done through the WebMin.

This is what my ect/fstab file looks like.

Code: Select all

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system>         <mount point>   <type>          <options>                               <dump>  <pass>
/dev/hda2             /               reiserfs        defaults,errors=remount-ro              0    1
proc                    /proc           proc            defaults                                0    0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         defaults,ro,user,noauto                 0    0
/dev/hda1        none            swap            sw                                      0    0

/dev/hda51		/mnt/fatx/c 	fatx 		defaults,noauto,umask=022 		0 	0
/dev/hda50		/mnt/fatx/e 	fatx 		defaults,umask=0000	 		0 	0
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1  /mnt/fatx/g  ext2  suid,dev,exec  0  0
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

SSH is a remote access protocol (google.com)

Why in gods name have you mounted a second hdd under "fatx/g". Its NOT g drive and it is certainly NOT fatx - its ext2 from the looks (why are you using ext2?!). You've been misleading me by suggesting it is a fatx partition. Your problem is probably just that you havent chmod'ed or chown'ed the appropriate directories on your secondary hdd.
000g
Novice

Post by 000g »

The why question can only be answered by saying, "Becuase it works that way". I have no idea what I clicked when I first installed the second HDD.

And forgive my ignorance, but how is the second HDD not a "G" drive?

C: MS
D: DVD
E: MS
F: Linux
G: 2nd HDD

I do see how it shouldn't be a FatX partition. However, neither should the "F" drive. This was a native install.

And if the reason the access rights aren't working properly is because of the way I mounted the second HDD, then why aren't the shares on the "F" drive complying? Because I had this same problem when I had only 1 HDD.

Here's a screenshot of my "partition manager".
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Its not a G drive because there is no concept of drive lettering in Linux.

The problem isnt with how youre mounting the drive. The problem is more likely to be permissions on the individual folders (like I already said).