ProFTPd Not Writable?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
raid517
Novice

ProFTPd Not Writable?

Post by raid517 »

I wonder if anyone can help explain/fix a couple of odd things I have found?

Firstly everything works pretty great. No major hassles no worries - which is a revalation for a Linux install. (Most Linux installs take a lot more work).

Anyway the thing is there are only tow small snags I have enocountered. The first is that although I can FTP in to ProFTPd I don't appear to have any write access to anything on my linux drive.

Ideally I would like to perghaps set a /home/gentoox/shared directory and also perhaps share my /mnt/F/Music direcory over FTP and have these be fully writable.
How can I achieve this?

GJ
Last edited by raid517 on Fri May 19, 2006 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

edit your post and remove the obscenities
raid517
Novice

Post by raid517 »

I appologise profusely - I was having a bad day - I typed some random crap. The profanities were aimed at others in the office and not anyone here.

People were anoying me and I was feeling very very stressed! I never meant to hit the submit button!

Sorry!

GJ
Snaver
Linux User

Post by Snaver »

I had this error, what i did was this

Code: Select all

chmod a+rwx 'Location of directory/or file'
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

This could potentially be a very bad idea, depending on the type of data you want to share (both via ftp and on the local system) it may not be a good idea to give everyone full access to your files as that command will do.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Re: ProFTPd Not Writable?

Post by orochi »

raid517 wrote:I wonder if anyone can help explain/fix a couple of odd things I have found?

Firstly everything works pretty great. No major hassles no worries - which is a revalation for a Linux install. (Most Linux installs take a lot more work).

Anyway the thing is there are only tow small snags I have enocountered. The first is that although I can FTP in to ProFTPd I don't appear to have any write access to anything on my linux drive.

Ideally I would like to perghaps set a /home/gentoox/shared directory and also perhaps share my /mnt/F/Music direcory over FTP and have these be fully writable.
How can I achieve this?

GJ
there is a rather nice guide on these forums to do this, basically create a user who's home is the location you want to share, and edit the proftpd.conf file to jail that user to their home dir. A much better explanation can be found via the search button.