What is taking up so much space?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
raid517
Novice

What is taking up so much space?

Post by raid517 »

Hi, I am having trouble understanding what is taking up so much space on my Gentoox? I have a 4GB loopback file, with nothing on it other than X, the Kernel, Fluxbox, Samba, Proftpd Mplayer - Mplayer's codecs, and the basic compilers and tools (although these have been updated) that came with the shipping version of Gentoox. I have stripped out all of the fat I could find, including KDE, Games and a whole bunch of apps and utilities I will never use. Yet now when I try to upgrade anything - the system constantly complains about 'running out of disk space.' I wonder.... Does portage somehow keep a local cache of all of the files it downloads? I'm asking as this would at least explain why so much space is being used up.

Really - at best the amount of apps I have installed should barely be taking up 1GB, let alone 4 - so where on earth is all of the space going?

GJ
blighty
Adept

Post by blighty »

I`m having the same problem, I hope I get find out why and what is taking up all the room, I have been storing everything on my hdb but my hda is nearly full reporting only 1.7 gb free.

I`ve checked every user`s desktop looking for a large file that i`ve missplaceed but have found nothing.

I recently tried to install boson & stellarium, finding neither of them worked i removed them but my free space wasn`t affected?

bLiGhTy.

P.s. Yo ShALLaX! keep up the good work, Gentoox is the best bit of xbox, I`m slowley getting all my mates into linux via their xbox`s, any dent in M$`s pocket is worthwhile in my book. it`s like beating them with their own bat!
2x xbox v1.0 gentoox home native
2x stock 10GB`s (both built for free :D )

Thanks 2 cheesyboofs, Steinar T & of course ShALLaX.

Falcon; jtag, xbr, 160gb hdd
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

check your /tmp and /usr/var/portage (your portage temp download location, i dont remember exactly where it is)

that may free up a bit of space
blighty
Adept

Post by blighty »

Unfortunatly It didn't help.

after looking at the temp folder i found files equaling around 3gb.

Figuring that would be enough usable
space I deleted them all and then found i have even less space than before I deleted them.

At this stage I feel like a total looser... sigh...

Is there any maintence tools I could try?

bLiGhTy.

blighty
Adept

Post by blighty »

Unfortunatly It didn't help.

after looking at the temp folder i found files equaling around 3gb.

Figuring that would be enough usable
space I deleted them all and then found i have even less space than before I deleted them.

At this stage I feel like a total looser... sigh...

Is there any maintence tools I could try?

bLiGhTy.

speedfrenzy

Post by speedfrenzy »

good morning, everyone! i think, it?s time to reanimate this old thread...
blighty wrote:At this stage I feel like a total looser... sigh...
how man, sometimes i just know too good what you mean......
anyway, though because of your signature i realise, with a native installation of gentoox my advice isn?t actually that helpful for you anymore, but maybe someone else has still the same problem.

first of all @raid517: even if you have unmergerd a bunch of apps and utilities, don?t forget that the home edition of gentoox is a full-featured- ready-to-run linux distro. a long time ago i tried to emerge update deep world and it gave me the output of 167 packages to be updated :roll:

what i did was to make 4 new filesystem-isos with

Code: Select all

magic newfs
, each with a different among of mbyte. then i moved the content of /usr/share, /usr/kde, /usr/lib and /var/tmp with the tool

rsync
(sorry, can?t remember the exact command) to the new generated filesystems, edited the file /etc/fstab, rebooted and everything was fine :twisted: at last i created a further filesystem for my bittorrent downloads, cause the filename sizes of the directory and the files in it were sometimes too long for fatx with its 42 letters limitation and i didn?t find a renamer for all of them at the same time...

so, this is my fstab file (i?m sorry bout the formatting):
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.

# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

/dev/loop/0 / reiserfs notail 0 1
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto 0 0
#/dev/hda51 /mnt/fatx/c fatx defaults,noauto,umask=022 0 0
/dev/hda50 /mnt/fatx/e fatx defaults,umask=0000 0 0
/dev/hda55 /mnt/fatx/f fatx defaults,umask=0000 0 0

/mnt/fatx/f/Erweiterung_1 /usr/share ext3 loop,defaults 0 0
/mnt/fatx/f/Erweiterung_2 /usr/lib ext3 loop,defaults 0 0
/mnt/fatx/f/Erweiterung_3 /usr/kde ext3 loop,defaults 0 0
/mnt/fatx/f/Erweiterung_4 /home/gentoox/downloads/bittorrent-downloads-auf-erweiterung_4 ext3 loop,defaults 0 0
/mnt/fatx/f/Erweiterung_5 /var/tmp ext3 loop,defaults 0 0

# Einbindung eines Samba Servers:
#//Nemesis/Musik /home/gentoox/Peter/Musik smbfs user,auto,credentials=/home/gentoox/.smbcredentials,ro 0 0
and this is the output i get from

df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/loop/0 4.0G 2.1G 1.9G 52% /
df: `/newroot': No such file or directory
/dev/hda50 4.8G 892M 3.9G 19% /mnt/fatx/e
/dev/hda55 68G 56G 12G 83% /mnt/fatx/f
/mnt/fatx/f/Erweiterung_1 2.5G 817M 1.6G 34% /usr/share
/mnt/fatx/f/Erweiterung_2 2.0G 915M 955M 49% /usr/lib
/mnt/fatx/f/Erweiterung_3 542M 455M 60M 89% /usr/kde
/mnt/fatx/f/Erweiterung_4 3.9G 72M 3.6G 2% /home/gentoox/downloads/bittorrent-downloads-auf-erweiterung_4
/mnt/fatx/f/Erweiterung_5 3.9G 83M 3.6G 3% /var/tmp
have a nice day 8)