Crossover Office & Office XP, help

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Desertboy
Novice

Crossover Office & Office XP, help

Post by Desertboy »

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/office/

I installed crossover office last night which installed with no problems. Then I tried to install office xp which prompted me to go online (Which I can't get my xbox to do any longer it did work but it jus stopped for no reason I can fathom) to download a fle called dcom95.exe from M$.com. So I downloaded it on my pc and sent it to the xbox then clicked advance install which let me choose where the file was located.

Once I installed dcom95.exe it then prompted me for my office xp cd. (Shock horror I fogot to put it in the box before booting gentoox and only running 4794 which doesn't support noreset on eject. Samba to the rescue again I sent a copy of the cd to the xbox and installed from their. Entered my cd key and crossover office performed a virtual windows reboot. Reported back that office xp was installed successfully.

Now my problem I can't launch anything except internet explorer 5 which put a shortcut on my desktop. I was under the impression it would add a menu item to kde (Crossover office did. ) I don't know how to launch it. I've rebooted the box many times, I've tried launching it through command line but the files for officexp are located in /home/gentoox/cxoffice/fake windows/program files/office xp/ yet I can't view them in konqueror even if I launched konqueror from the konsole (While logged in as root). I can't find them from the konsole and the only way I could find them was through konqueror using find (Which located them regardless of wheather I was logged in as root or not.).

Help has anyone else used crossover office on the xbox? It seems like a solid program and seeing IE5 running is a buzz but I want word and excel.

If I had a working internet connection in gentoox I could try Kazaa on it.
:ph34r:
Help I haven't got a clue, Linux scares me and I don't know what to double click. Where's My computer, I don't see any setup.exe and my device manager is plain missing.
Sniper Fox
Adept

Post by Sniper Fox »

Wow, I can't imagine running office XP on a WINDOWS computer with only 64 megs of RAM, must less linux + emulation layer.

Are you VERY VERY sure that OpenOffice.org 1.1 won't do whatever it is you need to do (hint: It open and saves Word / Excel / PowerPoint XP files with 100% compatibility)???
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

1. what do you need office for you have vim
2. its your own fault for trying to install a ms product (especially with 64meg ram)
3. SniperFox - what emulation layer do you speak of.. is it a magical one thats non existant?
4. rtfm
127.0.0.1, wherever you go.. there you are!
Desertboy
Novice

Post by Desertboy »

fuz wrote:1. what do you need office for you have vim
2. its your own fault for trying to install a ms product (especially with 64meg ram)
3. SniperFox - what emulation layer do you speak of.. is it a magical one thats non existant?
4. rtfm
I solved this problem office xp runs pretty well, Word is certainly fast enough even with largish (4 megabyte docs). Excel is slow but still usable you certainly wouldn't want to multitask them. IE 6 runs like a bag of shite but that's to be expected. I actually installed crossover office for the plugins but that officexp CD was looking at me funny so I had to give it a go.

I happily view quicktimes with mozilla on my box (But only round a friends house as my pc refuses to share it's connection with my box.)

Anyone intrested crossover office only made one desktop shortcut for IE I had to find the desktop shortcuts for word & excel and manually add them to the desktop.

I used konqueror (Launched from konsole while logged in as root) to find *.desktop
then I copied the relevant files to the desktop and it worked fine.

Kazaa runs fine as well which was a shock, I got a speccy emulator working and some other non descript stuff.

As soon as I locate my carmageddon cd I'm going try dosemu I believe if I get 2 box's connected with a crossover I should be able to have 2 player network dos game play.

Open office seems to have a crap dictionary and I like word. I write a lot of letters and being to bang a letter out in word while sitting in my lounge is pretty convenient in fact I've used word more than anyother linux applications (Not counting KDE or crossover office of course)

PS. Just did some real world comparisons with a 1.2ghz P3 with 128meg running win2000 and word actually runs better on the xbox. About 20% faster, excel on the other hand runs probably twice as slow.
Help I haven't got a clue, Linux scares me and I don't know what to double click. Where's My computer, I don't see any setup.exe and my device manager is plain missing.
spathi
Novice

Post by spathi »

fuz wrote: 3. SniperFox - what emulation layer do you speak of.. is it a magical one thats non existant?
openoffice is an open source office application. it was originaly based on sun's star office (remember that?) which they opened sourced...

im pretty sure its in the kde menu too..
Linux - In a world without fences, who needs GATES?
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

i remember suns star office, it sucked :) but thats not an emu tho its just an app.. /me thinks he is confuzzled
JusKickNit
Novice

Post by JusKickNit »

I believe he's talking about wine. Codeweavers use's a patched wine to run Windows Apps.
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

*clink clink* the penny drops

hehe i can lift heavy things :P