Need advice on how and where to install Gentoox using a mod

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
BooDaddy

Need advice on how and where to install Gentoox using a mod

Post by BooDaddy »

HEllo all, I have a Xecuter 2.3 pro which I have flashed in this manner:

Bios #1: Xecuter2 bios (for booting directly to Evox)
Bios #2: Loader.bin (for loading up gentoox)
Bios #3: COPY OF BIOS 1
Bios #4 COPY OF BIOS 2

and with the mod chip turned off it boots microsoft code normally so I can still play Live.

What I want to do is be able to switch the mod chip to bank 1 to load evox and stuff, then reboot using bank 2 to load stright to gentoox.

So far my mod chip is flashed perfectly. I can boot to microsoft, evox, or the gentoox loader with the switches. BUT I havent installed gentoox yet.

I am confused on 2 things.
#1. Which version should I install the home, pro, or media center edition? whats the difference? and advanages?

#2. Which drive do I install it to? I have my E: drive that has my apps for evox and stuff, and then theres f: which has nothing on it. Where is the best place to install gentoox so that it will boot right from the flash? and what are the differences between installing on E: and F

I am a total newb who is learing Linux. I have Ubuntu on my laptop that I dual boot to learn from. Any help is appreciated. I havent installed the actual software yet, but the mod chip has been succesfully flashed.
m1d_kn1ght
Linux User

Post by m1d_kn1ght »

Personal Opinon :

For a beginner, use Home v4.

Load it on your E: (its just one big file that if you dont like it you can simply delete) and move your apps to F:

An E: install is less likely to stuff your partition tables.

It comes already loaded with good defaul programs

Easy to navigate.

Pro, is faster, and more efficient, but is a "barebones" OS. It can also be a pain in the ass to configure if you dont know what youre doing.

Most things that work on home, will also work on pro, however home has a lot of preinstalled packages, so minor changes dont take nearly as long.

Most of it comes down to taste.

You like speed, and can deal with lots of command line, then Pro.

If you can handle a speed hit, and are just starting to learn, Home.

Both Pro and home are capabe of E: and native installs.

Read the Doco's
XBox v1.6

Hardware
Xecuter 3 mod
200Gb PATA Hard disk
X3 Control Panel

Software
Gentoox Home v4
Apache 2 - PHP5
MySQL
ProFTPd
Qmail - vpopmail
BooDaddy

Post by BooDaddy »

Thanks for the info. I am going to install a 40 gig drive that I have laying around. I tried installing it, but my stock drive was pretty full. So I decided on installing the 40 gig. I will give the e a shot.

Thanks for the info.