Kernel Recompile Errors

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
kaos_engr
Novice

Kernel Recompile Errors

Post by kaos_engr »

I can't get the kernel to recompile. Here's the output from the tailend of the compile process.

make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/arch/i386/lib'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox'
scripts/mkdep -- `find /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/asm /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/scsi /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/net /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/math-emu \( -name SCCS -o -name .svn \) -prune -o -follow -name \*.h ! -name modversions.h -print` > .hdepend
scripts/mkdep -- init/*.c > .depend
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o scripts/split-include scripts/split-include.c
scripts/split-include include/linux/autoconf.h include/config
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DKBUILD_BASENAME=main -c -o init/main.o init/main.c
In file included from /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/unistd.h:9,
from init/main.c:17:
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/asm/unistd.h:375: warning: conflicting types for built-in function '_exit'
. scripts/mkversion > .tmpversion
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DUTS_MACHINE='"i386"' -DKBUILD_BASENAME=version -c -o init/version.o init/version.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DKBUILD_BASENAME=do_mounts -c -o init/do_mounts.o init/do_mounts.c
In file included from /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/unistd.h:9,
from init/do_mounts.c:5:
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/asm/unistd.h:375: warning: conflicting types for built-in function '_exit'
make CFLAGS="-D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 " -C kernel
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/kernel'
make all_targets
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/kernel'

---
Errors start here in the process of compiling the kernel. Or does it really start with errors a few lines up about the _exit problem?

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=sched -fno-omit-frame-pointer -c -o sched.o sched.c
sched.c:231: error: conflicting types for 'reschedule_idle'
sched.c:228: error: previous declaration of 'reschedule_idle' was here
sched.c:231: error: conflicting types for 'reschedule_idle'
sched.c:228: error: previous declaration of 'reschedule_idle' was here
sched.c:415: error: conflicting types for 'wake_up_process'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/sched.h:665: error: previous declaration of 'wake_up_process' was here
sched.c:415: error: conflicting types for 'wake_up_process'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/sched.h:665: error: previous declaration of 'wake_up_process' was here
sched.c:477: error: conflicting types for 'schedule_timeout'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/sched.h:157: error: previous declaration of 'schedule_timeout' was here
sched.c:477: error: conflicting types for 'schedule_timeout'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/sched.h:157: error: previous declaration of 'schedule_timeout' was here
sched.c:909: error: conflicting types for '__wake_up'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/sched.h:657: error: previous declaration of '__wake_up' was here
sched.c:909: error: conflicting types for '__wake_up'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/sched.h:657: error: previous declaration of '__wake_up' was here
sched.c:919: error: conflicting types for '__wake_up_sync'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/sched.h:658: error: previous declaration of '__wake_up_sync' was here
sched.c:919: error: conflicting types for '__wake_up_sync'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/sched.h:658: error: previous declaration of '__wake_up_sync' was here
sched.c:929: error: conflicting types for 'complete'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/completion.h:34: error: previous declaration of 'complete' was here
sched.c:929: error: conflicting types for 'complete'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/completion.h:34: error: previous declaration of 'complete' was here
sched.c:939: error: conflicting types for 'wait_for_completion'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/completion.h:30: error: previous declaration of 'wait_for_completion' was here
sched.c:939: error: conflicting types for 'wait_for_completion'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/completion.h:30: error: previous declaration of 'wait_for_completion' was here
sched.c:1003: error: conflicting types for 'interruptible_sleep_on'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/sched.h:662: error: previous declaration of 'interruptible_sleep_on' was here
sched.c:1003: error: conflicting types for 'interruptible_sleep_on'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/sched.h:662: error: previous declaration of 'interruptible_sleep_on' was here
sched.c:1014: error: conflicting types for 'interruptible_sleep_on_timeout'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/sched.h:663: error: previous declaration of 'interruptible_sleep_on_timeout' was here
sched.c:1014: error: conflicting types for 'interruptible_sleep_on_timeout'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/sched.h:663: error: previous declaration of 'interruptible_sleep_on_timeout' was here
sched.c:1027: error: conflicting types for 'sleep_on'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/sched.h:659: error: previous declaration of 'sleep_on' was here
sched.c:1027: error: conflicting types for 'sleep_on'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/sched.h:659: error: previous declaration of 'sleep_on' was here
sched.c:1038: error: conflicting types for 'sleep_on_timeout'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/sched.h:660: error: previous declaration of 'sleep_on_timeout' was here
sched.c:1038: error: conflicting types for 'sleep_on_timeout'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/include/linux/sched.h:660: error: previous declaration of 'sleep_on_timeout' was here
sched.c:228: warning: 'reschedule_idle' declared `static' but never defined
make[2]: *** [sched.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/kernel'
make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-xbox-gentoox/kernel'
make: *** [_dir_kernel] Error 2
mv: cannot stat `/mnt/fatx/e/vmlinuz': No such file or directory
Installing new kernel to /mnt/fatx/e/vmlinuz
cp: cannot stat `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage': No such file or directory
--00:25:09-- http://shallax.com:2000/patch-files/linuxboot.cfg
=> `linuxboot.cfg'
Resolving shallax.com...
Magic caught 'Ctrl-C'

Magic will now clean up then exit.
Note: this is counted as an error.

---
Stopped it before going further
-----------------

Not sure why sched.c is having a problem compiling?

kaos_engr
Last edited by kaos_engr on Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

Why are you recompiling the kernel?

What options have you changed?
kaos_engr
Novice

Well have problems on bootup with modules

Post by kaos_engr »

So I thought I'd recompile everything (well the kernel). There are no files in /lib/modules/2.4.22-xbox/misc/sound/ just an empty dir :(

Problems after updating svgalib_helper. And, guess gentoox can't use ALSA 1.0.10 just the 1.0.9b version I keep seeing it in the past compiling into the kernel configuration. Tried to update it to latest version via emerge system too.

snd-intel8x0 loaded
snd-pcm-mix and another module can't keep them on the tv screen to get them call copied down.

Get an error about

/etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.22-gentoox/modules.dep

Along with no /dev/dsp device found after the Gentoox Home v4.0 Welcome text (have X disabled right now). But no modules starting up to support said device anyway.

chmod: cannot access '/dev/dsp': No such file or directory

displayed right before the login prompt.

And, now i can't even get Gentoox 4.0 to boot. The loader (v6.03c) no longer shows FatX as a viable boot source. Just has CD/DVD, Net or Web boot.

So booting via copy of vmlinux and initrd.gz saved to pc and using Net Boot operation. Which takes a minute or so to start since it's having a problem obtaining any IP address (well it doesn't obtain one from Win2k3 Server) my DHCP server.

kaos_engr

P.S. Just trying to get all packages updated to latest releases and it seems to always break something along the way. Tried not to install any of the etc-updates that would mess things up. Also now on shutdown

/sbin/rc has two missing files it's looking for /etc/init.d/halt.sh and /etc/init.d/shutdown.sh when I try to reboot.
kaos_engr
Novice

P.S. /sbin/rc halt.sh and reboot.sh missing fixed

Post by kaos_engr »

Don't see how those files were deleted from some unmerges I did.

Thought I only unmerged

vanilla-sources-2.4.22, 2.4.28, 2.6.xx.yy

not sure why all thoses were installed but they were listed in the output of "equery list"

and linux-headers-2.4.22-r1 was unmerged then re-merged :)

Had a copy of those two files in a backup copy of the init.d dir I'd recreated so P.S. part fixed for /sbin/rc problems.

kaos_engr

P.S. Just like messing things up with updating "world" and "system" profiles after emerge sync'ing. :)
Last edited by kaos_engr on Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaos_engr
Novice

modules startup problem since they no longer exist

Post by kaos_engr »

found that the modprobe error on startup is from /etc/init.d/esound startup.

modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.22-xbox-Gentoox/modules.dep

Thus trying to recompile the kernel actually not sure that the kernel has to be recompiled before compiling the modules. Will try "make modules" and "make modules_install" to see what happens.

Not sure why the Loader's Net boot option cannot obtain an IP address from my DHCP server.

kaos_engr
kaos_engr
Novice

gcc 3.4 installed no longer have gcc 3.3 compiler :(

Post by kaos_engr »

I've upgraded the gcc compiler from original version released with Gentoox Home 4.0 to gcc 3.4. I see that this breaks compiling of kernels. Any fixes for xbox gentoox kernel building?

Xbox linux # gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.4.4 ( Gentoo 3.4.4-r1, ssp-3.4.4-1.0, pie-8.7.8 )
Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

--
kaos_engr
kaos_engr
Novice

Loader option FatX missing fix:

Post by kaos_engr »

Problem from previous post in this thread:

And, now i can't even get Gentoox 4.0 to boot. The loader (v6.03c) no longer shows FatX as a viable boot source. Just has CD/DVD, Net or Web boot.

Opps. Somewhere along the way of trying to update the kernel linuxboot.cfg was deleted from e drive.

===>FIX: Put --- linuxboot.cfg --- back onto e drive <===

After putting it back FatX option back. :) YEAH!!!
--
kaos_engr

P.S. Now to find fixes to compile kernel under gcc 3.4.4
kaos_engr
Novice

seems gcc-3.4.4 doesn't like 2.4.22 kernel so trying 2.4.31

Post by kaos_engr »

Looks like gcc-3.4.4 can't be used to compile older kernels like 2.4.22. Found posting that says fixes have been made to 2.4.29 and later releases so trying 2.4.31 at this time.

--
kaos_engr
kaos_engr
Novice

Post by kaos_engr »

Compiled 2.4.31-xbox kernel fine. Boots ok, not sure if the ALSA package is necessary. It's using an i810_audio module for sound support.

Load 11 modules on bootup.
forcedeth, usbcore, input , hid, keybdev, usb-ohci, mousedev, xpad, fat, i810_audio and joydev.

Code: Select all

Xbox etc # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
joydev                  5696   0  (unused)
xir                     2912   0  (unused)
i810_audio             22812   0  (unused)
ac97_codec             13396   0  [i810_audio]
soundcore               3780   2  [i810_audio]
fat                    31608   0  (unused)
xpad                    8912   0  (unused)
mousedev                4308   1
usb-ohci               17960   0  (unused)
keybdev                 2052   0  (unused)
hid                    22180   0  (unused)
input                   3328   0  [joydev xpad mousedev keybdev hid]
usbcore                61132   1  [xir xpad usb-ohci hid]
forcedeth              10444   1
snd_intel8x0, snd_pcm_oss, snd_mixer_oss don't load but they haven't been included in modules available for 2.4.31-xbox kernel.

Don't really like all the flashing that occurs on the TV when it starts Xserver. Takes it a lot longer for Xserver to start than when booting 2.4.22-xbox-Gentoox kernel from Home4.0.

GCC 3.4.4-r1 can't compile the 2.4.22 kernel. :( Thus the reason for the updated release.

--
kaos_engr
kaos_engr
Novice

New 2.4.31 kernel crashes on emerge at portage cache 100%

Post by kaos_engr »

Seems my new kernel is not without problems. It crashes the system when doing an emerge. At the end of the emerge sync process the Portage Cache is updated and when it reaches the 100% mark it crashes. Not sure it's a kernel problem really or a filesystem problem. When running Sparkle v1.5, it did find errors in the rootfs and fixed them.

--
kaos_engr
Last edited by kaos_engr on Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaos_engr
Novice

Post by kaos_engr »

Didn't crash this time after "emerge sync"

--
kaos_engr
kaos_engr
Novice

Post by kaos_engr »

It did crash again the next emerge sync I ran.

Installed new gcc compiler and have recompiled the kernel with it (gcc-3.4.5). Thus far no crashed when doing 'emerge sync'. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

Now on to ALSA 1.0.10.

Can't get it to work yet. :(

Still trying a few more things with it.

--
kaos_engr
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »