Total control over the LED

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
el_fer

Total control over the LED

Post by el_fer »

Hi everybody!! :D
This is my first post,so,first of all,an important warning: I'm Spanish,and all the English I know is the English what I've learned at school(not the one that teachers have teached me :P),so,sorry by my rusty English :(
Well,the suggestion I'm going to make is to be able to take total control over the the LED.I want to mean,the colour it has once the XBOX is turned on.
I want to have the led always off,and I've tried this typing "led xxxx" and "blink",but when I do an emerge,the LED turns on again.
Well,I request you again to apologize my language :S
(In Spanish I talk relatively very well :P)
Byes!
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

you need to edit some config files or turn off the daemon that runs that changes the color.

you could just delete the files, but no one likes error msg's that pop up randomly
el_fer

Post by el_fer »

orochi wrote:you need to edit some config files or turn off the daemon that runs that changes the color.

you could just delete the files, but no one likes error msg's that pop up randomly
Oh,I knew that there's is a daemon which controls fan speed,but nothing about one similar with the LED :O
Can you tell me how is the daemon called,and the path of the configuration files?
I searched files named with *led* on /etc/conf.d ,but I found nothing :oops: :oops:
Thanks a lot for the helping :)
Byes!
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

poking around, i think its a standalone app, tho everything shallax uses calls it lol, startup script, magic etc.

i suppose you could do this tho i havent tested it, and it is 3.30am

(as root)
mv /bin/led /bin/led.backup
echo "#!/bin/bash" > /bin/led
chmod 755 /bin/led

essentially what happens is instead of the command being called /bin/led <colors> and having the executable /bin/led chat with /dev/ic2/0 its just running an empty shell script that doesnt do anything, im not sure what the status is of the led when its started (if its on by default) You could change it to this if you want every time its run to turn off the led you could try

(as root)
mv /bin/led /bin/led.backup
echo "#!/bin/bash" > /bin/led
echo "/bin/led.backup xxxx" >> /bin/led
chmod 755 /bin/led

thats the best way i can think of it without breaking existing scripts i.e. magic, its quick, its dirty, and it prolly work work for every situation (background daemon) but its worth a shot

to undo what was done above

rm /bin/led
mv /bin/led.backup /bin/led
el_fer

Post by el_fer »

Mmmmh..sorry for posting so late :oops: :oops:
Well,I have to say that I made what you sid me,and it works! :D
I've done an emerge --sync,and the led's been off all the time :)
Thanks a lot for the helping :)
Byes!
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

lol good to hear, im glad it works even tho i never tried the code above myself :roll: