dev entries on bootup don't exist

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
kaos_engr
Novice

dev entries on bootup don't exist

Post by kaos_engr »

I've updated several system packages to the latest version and now upon bootup several /dev devices are no longer found

/dev/hda50, /dev/hda55, /dev/i2c-0 and /dev/i2c/0 to name the few i've seen. I'm sure all the other /dev/hda5x partitions for the xbox hdd don't exist either.

Where do those /dev entries get created? I mounted up the stardust rootfs on my CentOS machine and don't see them in it's /dev either.

Is there anyway to get the bootup output messages all logged to a file? Don't see the messages I'm looking for in 'dmesg' output.

kaos_engr
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

You probably broke devfsd.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
kaos_engr
Novice

Post by kaos_engr »

Think so, looks like "emerge system" installed udev even though it's not a 2.6 kernel.

kaos_engr
cyesergio
Linux User

Post by cyesergio »

Uhm I did the same thing...I tried to automount usb devices when connected...I read somewhere that you needed udev; so I emerged it :(
Not knowing you need the 2.6 kernel (I have 2.4). My system still kinda works, but on startup I get some strange errors (can't mount some fs ?!)

Is it possible to unmerge udev? Should I?
thnx in advance!

Cye
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

you could try booting with rescutoox and chroot to your current install, theres info on this using the search function