NewsGroup / Reader

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
brucett
Novice

NewsGroup / Reader

Post by brucett »

Can anyone recommend a program that will run on linux home or pro that will download from newsgroups?

I have searched around but cant find much.

Does anyobdy use this kind of software? whats it like to run and how simple is it to use? A quick lowdown would be appreciated.

Cheers and Happy Xmas!
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

I use PAN. However, I haven't had a lot of success if you want to read large newsgroups (ie. binary groups with millions of entries). If you want it for text, pan should work fine. If you want to get binaries, it's better to find a service such as newzbin.com that will generate .nzb files and use a command line (nzbget is what I use) app to retrieve them.
cyesergio
Linux User

Post by cyesergio »

I use nzbperl, it's great! It automatically scans a certain folder for nzb files, and automatically starts downloading if it finds one. I put up a page to uplaod files (apache), and nzbperl checks this folder for nzb files. So now I can download all my series and movies from wherever I am! It runs in daemon mode. But it also has an interface should you desire so.
You need Perl to run it. Just google nzbperl!