Best version xbox to use as a server?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Pobtastic
Novice

Best version xbox to use as a server?

Post by Pobtastic »

Now I'm only asking as I had a NIB xbox which had *never* been used set up as a server. It was using a crystal xbox motherboard (1.6) and so had no temperature sensor, anyways point being that after only about 50 hours uptime (that's EVER - I bought it for the case!) something inside popped and now it won't come on at all anymore. I'm guessing its the power transistors, but meh I dunno :)

Now the point... Got me thinking, the version 1.0 motherboard has these amazingly huge annoyingly noisy fans - that can only be a good thing for a server right? Does that mean that a 1.0 xbox is the best option for a 24/7 server? Because I need one asap...

Pobster
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

Im a bit puzzled by what you mean, but gentoox will run the same (minus overscan and temp sensors in 1.6) on all xboxes
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

Running ANY Xbox as a server for 365 days a year will not cause it to ‘pop’, the main thing that will cause a server to pop is if the fan fails and it over heats. Even then most servers even an Xbox running as a server will shutdown first rather than risk damage.
I own a 1.3, a 1.4 and a 1.6 all run fine 24/7 with there fans hard set to 10, as long as you have ‘some’ air moving through and you aren’t compiling all the time there is no reason why they should not.
As for your broken Xbox I’d just get a new PSU and check the fan is moving, unless as your post implies you have taken the 1.6 motherboard out and put the v1.0 motherboard in, but then the PSU’s would not be compatible.
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...