Reinstalling Gentoox with VGA

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
dynamike

Reinstalling Gentoox with VGA

Post by dynamike »

I installed Gentoox a long time ago and am very happy with it.
I now connected a VGA monitor using the LM1881N circuit and its works fine with all games and apps on my box, except Gentoox. I know I want to run xbvset again, but when I run gentoox.xbe or the Stardust cd, the screen turn black and my xbox turns off :?

I thought removing all the Gentoox files would start up the Stardust CD, but still the xbox turns off when the cd runs.

Did I forget to remove some files?

I am running on a v1.0, 128MB box. Tryed VGA and HD mode, but the same happens.

What can I do to get gentoox running again :?:
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

Disable all your HD modes, then launch gentooxx.xbe. For some reason, xromwell and gentoox loader (which is based off cromwell/xromwell I believe) have problems loading in HD when HD modes are enabled.

Another good way to get around this would be to split your Xbox's TSOP, or flash Gentoox Loader onto another bank on your modchip.
dynamike

Post by dynamike »

Thank you.
But I want to use Gentoox on a higher res, not 640x480 or something, because I now connected a VGA monitor. When I install Gentoox on standard video connection, like I did before, when I try to launch gentoox my xbox will turn off when it is in HD or VGA mode.

How do I run Gentoox in High Def/Res?

Do I need to install Gentoox on Standard Video, and in the first run, use xbvset to set it to HDTV, and then switch to HD Mode and connect my Monitor?

edit: And I am using the a modchip, not TSOP or something.
dynamike

Post by dynamike »

Nobody is running on a VGA monitor?
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Does gentoox still load when you connect it to a TV? If so, can you re-run xbvset and change it to the output and res that you want?
dynamike

Post by dynamike »

Yes.
I installed Gentoox again yesterday, connected to a normal tv with MS Advanced cable. Then, in the firstrun script, used xbvset to set gentoox settings to HDTV and 480p (what I usually run on my monitor).
After that the box rebooted fine. I turned off again and connected my monitor.
I ran gentoox.xbe again, same thing: screen turn off, and a few secs later the xbox too.

Why cant Gentoox load in 480p HDTV mode?!?