Data Rescue and Recovery

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
rprockey
Linux User

Data Rescue and Recovery

Post by rprockey »

My GentooX installation is fsck'd. I don't know how it got so bad and don't really want to spend more hours figuring it all out. The current state is, a failed eth0, USB keyboard not working and the display is unreadable on my 480p TV. Basically my system is inaccessible. It's my fault, I know, I am a bad sysadmin, should RTFM, keep up on updates and all the other things I do day in and day out at work. Please send all rants via IM, there’s no need for that here.

What I am after is some good information, a guide or tutorial, about how get my system into an accessible state so that I can get the precious data from my home and apache directories. Then I can get everything up to date and reinstall with latest versions. Gentoox Pro 1.3 is installed natively on the F: partition. I don't know off hand my version of xecuter mod chip or loader but I will gather that information if relevant and post.

My GentooXbox was configured when Pro 1.3 was the current version approximately one year ago. I have not kept up on the Gentoox updates and news so unfortunately I am green again. Please forgive me; I need a little hand holding here.

Thanks in advance,
R.P.Rockey
-----------------------------------------------------
Xbox v1.1 - x2.3Pro - 120g Barracuda
GentooX Pro v1.3 - Native Install
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

how did you install gentoox to your xbox? e: install, f: install, native install?

if it is a e: install, ftp in, move e:\rootfs to f:\rootfs

setup a new install of gentoox
mount your f:\roofs as loopback and read back your data

if it was setup on your f:
do the same as above, but rename f:\rootfs to f:\rootfs
mount your f:\oldrootfs as loopback on your new install

did native install, get another hdd setup on your xbox or find/setup a linux distro on a desktop pc, and mount that drive and access the data

those are my only suggestions, you can search on the forums on how to mount the rootfs as loopback, my brain is fried this late at night :\
rprockey
Linux User

Post by rprockey »

Thanks orochi!

I am well on my way to restoring my data with your help.
My fsck'd install is native on F:
I have installed the newest version of Pro onto E: and updated my loader.
Now it just a matter getting that F: partition to mount and ftp the data to another system.
Then I can reinstall Pro Native on F: again, configure and copy my saved data back.

Thanks again for your help. If I run into any problems along the way I will post for help. Once this is done, I may write up a small tutorial for others that may encounter the same or similar problem.

Thanks again.
Last edited by rprockey on Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.P.Rockey
rprockey
Linux User

Post by rprockey »

I ran into another problem with my data rescue project. I cannot seem to mount the f partition.
Here's what I get when I attempt to mount the native f partition from the new install on the e partition:

Code: Select all

Pro fatx # mount -t reiserfs /dev/hda55 /mnt/fatx/f/
mount: special device /dev/hda55 does not exist
I am almost afraid to hear the answer but please help if you can.
R.P.Rockey
rprockey
Linux User

Post by rprockey »

Hope it's alright if I post the answer to my own question.

Here is how I mounted my native f partition from an install on the e partition:

Code: Select all

Pro root # mount /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 /mnt/fatx/f/
I am not terribly familiar with the /dev file system. I learned this path from watching sparkle run. If anyone cares to explain why /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 works and /dev/hda55 doesn't in my particular situation I am very curious.

Now all I have left to do is ftp the data to another system. Then I can reinstall Pro Native on F: again, configure and copy my saved data back.
R.P.Rockey
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

i can answer one of your questions, tho /dev isnt a filesystem, linux sees everything as a sting of "1" and "0" so if your mounting /dev/hda (primary master drive) or something like /dev/video0 its just the "raw" data, when you mount it, it allows linux, and you to access that device in a format that is known, about the Pro root # mount /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 /mnt/fatx/f/ part, maybe its just cuz its an xbox, who knows... but it works :D