HOWTO: Fully Native

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

Right, thanks to exboxxed pointing me in a new direction I first confirmed his findings,
If you format the data partition with ext3 and not reiserfs the v6x bioses do indeed work! (Luckily in one of my Xboxes I have a switchable mod-chip so I can switch between v5.11 and v6.01)

So there is a bug in the v6x Bios that breaks reiserfs support.

That leaves us with three options,
1. Shallax, has the time and is willing to fix this bug
2. Format the data partition as ext3 (mke2fs -j /dev/hda2) and edit fstab (/dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults 0 1)
3. My preferred and tested method (unless Shallax is able to fix the bug) Create a small 10Mb ext2 boot partition then the 256Mb swap then the reiserfs root.

Shallax, if your out there, Mork calling Orson.
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...
Pyrite
Novice

Post by Pyrite »

So how can we make these changes, adding the boot or just changing to ext3 without foobaring our current reiserfs partition? My root partition is only 1.5GB or so out of the whole 8GB, could I like tarball that sucker and store it on the network somewhere, then re-setup the right file-system and untar it onto the new one or something?
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

Well hold off for just a bit, hopefully the firmware can be fixed! Failing that theoretically, you could fdisk /dev/hda and delete the swap partition (dev/hda1) then create a 10Mb /dev/hda1 ext2 /Boot partition and then create a 246Mb /dev/hda2 swap partition and hopefully the new dev/hda3 (was /dev/hda2) would not be touched. We would have to test this of course and it does fall outside the scope of this TUT.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

So, the problem you've been having with the icon not showing up in 6.x with fully native is because you were using reiserfs? Har. I'll look into it tonight... but I cant promise anything (I cant even test it... so I'll need someone else to do so for me).

Reiserfs is pretty much unsupported by Gentoox now since its a fairly terrible FS in terms of security - hence me not noticing this problem ;)
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
Pyrite
Novice

Post by Pyrite »

I'll test it for ya
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

Forgive me but I wasn't aware reiserfs support had been intentionally dropped, as it was supported once viewtopic.php?t=2460
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I dont think it has been intentionally dropped from Gentoox Loader, maybe the driver is out of date. I dont have my dev xbox setup anymore... I'll look into getting stuff moved over to my mac mini this weekend so I can look into it. Youll have to hold tight until then, sorry!
DELETED

Bios Flash went wrong...

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

This is completely off topic and you should have started a new thread but I would Boot the Restoox CDRW and then copy over raincoat and then re-flash the BIOS with your chosen BIOS.
http://www.cheesyboofs.co.uk/site/tutorial02.html
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Welp, I've tracked the problem down to grub... probably it's reiserfs filesystem driver. Its 1am now and I've been poking Cromwell since about 7pm. I'm going to give it a rest for now.
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

Well personally I'd love to know how to tweak the BIOS, I'd love to know how to tweak the menus and other bits of the UI, but then coming from a Graphic Design background I would do.
Everyone's a critic :wink:
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Hey, could you try this out for me... setup an Xbox with reiserfs, but when you format... do

mkreiserfs --format 3.5 /dev/hda2
DELETED

not off topic,

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Go start a new thread please.

*Edit*
The above user was banned for failing to follow instructions given on forum usage.
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

Right I've taken down one of my nas'es and pissed off the misses to borrow the telly to do as you requested and all the

Code: Select all

mkreiserfs --format 3.5 /dev/hda2
command did was limit me to a max file size of 2Gb, so I couldn't copy over roofs, was kinda hoping for a fix that didn't require a data partition re-format.

Regards