Question about the Gentoox Loader/HDTV issue.

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Trevante
Power user

Question about the Gentoox Loader/HDTV issue.

Post by Trevante »

I'm sure most of us have seen one of those posts where someone launches gentoox loader (with at least one of their HD modes enabled) and they get a blank screen, their eject LED turns orange, and the fan starts spinning really fast. After a bit of searching, it seems the best cure for this is to disable all the HD modes (so you're in 480i).

Does anyone have any possibile explaination for this? And also, I had a 1.6 mobo. I never experienced this problem before. But then I swapped my mobo for a 1.0 so I could get higher resolutions and overscan correction, and now, I get this problem a lot. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'd prefer not to have to disable my HD modes because I'm on a computer monitor via a VD-Z3 and while I can barely navigate through the menus (my monitor displays a garbled image), it's a pain in the ass to do. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: Also, this is a softmodded Xbox, with nkpatcher10, virtual C drive and virtual eeprom also. I know gentoox itself once loaded will see the real eeprom and the real C drive, but I don't know if Gentoox loader sees the real eeprom, that might have something to do with it.
WisdomWolf
Novice

Post by WisdomWolf »

I had the same problem. The only solution that I found was to set XBMC to auto for the screen resolution and just launch it from there, the beginning menu will be garbled, but just wait of press enter if you have a keyboard hooked up and it will begin bootup. I still have yet to fix my overscan problem once I get into GentooX though, let me know if you have any luck with that.
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

Do you have a 1.6? If so, you can't really fix the overscan. I haven't experienced any overscan on my 1.0. I don't know if it makes a difference that I'm on a computer monitor and not a real HDTV, but overscan isn't a problem in my case. I heard that fbset can be used to correct overscan though.

So XBMC has to be set to auto? I had XBMC running in 720p and whenever I tried to run Gentoox with my 20GB HDD, it didn't work, but it did on my 250. Maybe I had it set to auto on my 250....

It would be really nice if we could get this problem solved.... I don't want to have to switch dashboards or run XBMC everytime I want to run Gentoox.
WisdomWolf
Novice

Post by WisdomWolf »

I don't think that solving the problem will be that easy as it is not only Gentoox that is having the problem. XDSL suffers from the same thing with high speed fan and all. I am guessing that the problem has something to do with the kernel. Perhaps when/if they get the new 2.6.x kernel working it will correct the problem. Until then you will have to go out of your way, one way or another, everytime you want to run any form of linux on your xbox with HDTV.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have a 1.0 xbox with a 200GB Maxtor in it. The only reason I have an overscan problem is because i am using 720p. I have been messing with fbset and I got everything to fit in the borders, only to have an all new problem arise. Look at "HDTV is acting weirder that ever" for more info on that.
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

Well the problem is with gentoox loader and xromwell, not with gentoox or xdsl itself, so the kernel won't make a difference. I believe Gentoox loader is based off xromwell, which is why it also has the same video problem.

I also have a 1.0 and I for some reason, get no overscan, although I'm using a VD-Z3 and a 17" CRT monitor, not an actual HDTV.
WisdomWolf
Novice

Post by WisdomWolf »

You won't see overscan on a computer monitor. It's not the output from the xbox that causes the overscan on HDTV, the HDTV does the overscanning on its own. Something to do with backwards compatibility with composite and S-Video.