WLan USB Stick?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
sham
Linux User

WLan USB Stick?

Post by sham »

Hi,
could somebody say me which wlan stick works witch gentoox?

sham
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

depends on what usb stick we are talking about

checkout ndiswrapper, ive successfully have set it up with a Netgear WG121 card, although transfer speeds will be better on lan by far

search is your friend

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=in ... +on+gentoo
sham
Linux User

Post by sham »

hi,
i want usually an usb stick, because they are cheaper than networking modules like yours one. did you know if there is support for some usb wlan sticks? use they all a common technology and the same drivers or are they different?

sham
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

ndiswrapper is free, gentoox supports usb wifi devices yes, however you will need to recompile the kernel to support wifi, and have a module to work with your device.

It isnt going to be a plug n play type of setup, i suggest you checkout either your device mfg to see if they have a linux src drivers or checkout http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

I have a Microsoft MN-510 USB adaptor (it's not a stick though) working with the linux-wlan-ng drivers. I can't get WEP to work, but apart from that, it works just fine (if you do decide to use the linux-wlan-ng drivers, you may have to use dhcpcd to get an IP for your wireless adaptor, I couldn't get ifconfig to give me an internet connection, although local connectivity was fine).

Here is a list of wifi adaptors that work with the linux-wlan-ng drivers. The Dlink DWL-122 is in stick form if you really want one you can put in your pocket.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

you might have to run iwconfig to set your accesspoint if your going to use static ip, if you have /etc/conf.d/net set with your static ip, and the gateway at the bottom set to the correct device it should work out fine, i had a Netgear WG121 setup with static ip it worked great

if you want it to iwconfig you to an access point try doing something like this

cp /net/init.d/net.eth0 /net/init.d/net.{device}
pico -w /net/init.d/net.{device}

and add your "iwconfig" command on the line just after "start() {" thats what i had to do for my wifi to work for every boot

dont forget to rc-update add net.wlan0 default (perhaps even remove net.eth0 too