Installing Gentoox

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
ianb

Installing Gentoox

Post by ianb »

Is it possible to install gentoox on a pc so i can play with my modified controller on my pc?

Thnx in advance.

Ianb
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

If you want to play PC games with your modded controller, then it's gonna be pretty hard to do if you're running linux, and If you want to play xbox games on your PC, then it's gonna be pretty hard to do without any of the xbox hardware or OS. Thus there's no point in installing gentoox on a pc (not that it'd work anyways, as it's made for xbox hardware =)

Dunno if they exist, but your best bet for playing PC games with your xbox controller is to find someone who's made a driver for PC and just install that. Then get a usb converter cable and plug your xbox controller in to your pc.

If you want to play xbox games on your PC, you'll need an emulator. I think there's xeon and cxbx, but I don't know how well they work or how many games they support.
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

hi,

what do you want to play on your pc. (answer the question carefully if you dont want to get yelled at for not reading all the documents available on this site that people have taken a lot of trouble to make). :) :)
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
Trevante
Power user

Re: Installing Gentoox

Post by Trevante »

ianb wrote:Is it possible to install gentoox on a pc so i can play with my modified controller on my pc?

Thnx in advance.

Ianb
Hmm... by modified controller, I assume you mean your Xbox controller right? If you're running windows, there's a few Xbox controller drivers already written that will allow you to use yor Xbox as a controller. All you need to do is make or buy a USB adaptor for the Xbox controller. Personally, I made mine, pretty cheaply. Just buy a cheap USB hub, and a used breakaway cable.

Cut off, splice, and solder the connector end of the USB hub to the breakaway end of the breakaway cable. The cables should be color coded, so just match up all the colors, except for the yellow cable on the breakaway connector, you don't need to do anything with that one, except make sure it doesn't touch the other cables.

ALso, if you want to connect the USB hub to your Xbox, then just splice and solder the wires from the USB hub to the connector end of the breakaway cable (The end that plugs into the Xbox).

If you're runnning Linux.. well I don't really know what you can do as far as using the controller for games.