File size limitations

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
linbox
Linux User

File size limitations

Post by linbox »

I have my xbox setup with Slayers evox and Gentoox Home 3.1.

I want to use Linux as a file server (mainly for large images) but when I try to upload an image over 4GB I get an error through Samba stating the the network drive is no longer available. A similar thing happens when trying to FTP (i.e. it uploads about 4GB and then resets and starts over at the beginning of the file when FTP'ing).

My questions are:
1)Does Gentoox loaded from evox (f: drive) use the ext2 file system?
2)What is the single file size limit under the ext2fs?
3)If there is a limit, is there a way to change it?
stevie
Novice

Post by stevie »

Hi

What installation type did you chose?

Code: Select all

1.1 - Installation types and their requirements

There are now 3 installation types, E, F, Native. 'E' is the traditional installation where all the files are placed in E:. 'F' places 'rootfs' and 'swap' on the F: partition but leaves the other files in E: (required for Cromwell/ Xromwell support).

'Native' formats your F: partition to reiserfs and then extracts the rootfs to the newly formatted partition. 
If you have chosen 1 or 2, then your linux runs in a so called loopback filesystem.

An other part of the install decription says:

Code: Select all

The advantage of a 'native' install is that drive access is a lot faster and puts a lot less strain on the system (loopback filesystems require a large amount of system resources when being accessed). Also, you wont be limited to the 3GB rootfs filesize, your filesystem will be as big as your F: partition is.
Wich is the answer to your question if you have chosen 1 or 2 for installation type.

Stevie
linbox
Linux User

Post by linbox »

Understood!

I'm reinstalling and currently waiting on rootfs extraction under the native option.

I can see how a native install would be much faster.