xbox remote on normal linux installation

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
fimblo

xbox remote on normal linux installation

Post by fimblo »

Hiya,

I bought a xbox remote for my regular stationary linuxbox, and was wondering whether its necessary to install xbox-sources to get things working....

Im using gentoo-development sources 2.6.9 right now, it would be nice if I could just patch it...

Anyone know?
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

You shouldnt need to emerge xbox-sources unless you wanna recompile the kernel (might as well run magic at that point)

I dont think the controller will work in linux at this point, the joypad drivers dont support the digital pad (up down left right) only the analog joystick is supported. Since the remote doesnt have an analog stick i dont think it will work
fimblo

Post by fimblo »

ok, but I forgot to mention that Im not running this on an xbox- my computer is a regular PC, which I dug up from the cellar (and old Pentium 3)

but thanks anyway!

/M
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

You can install lirc and use the Xbox remote with that. There's an xbox remote config file on the lirc website somewhere, I don't remember the link.
fimblo

Post by fimblo »

yep, Im onto it. But it assumes one kernel module which I cant find anywhere except in the xbox-sources (USB-> Xbox Infrared DVD dongle for LIRC support ) so Im testing it right now :)

cheers
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

yea, sorry about that, I meant i dont think you would get much success with the microsoft dvd controller/dongle the way joypad works