Anyone have a webcam running on Xbox?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
trixter
Adept

Post by trixter »

JustKickNits,

Sorry, I met that I tried your modprobe command and got no information or error reports back.
JusKickNit
Novice

Post by JusKickNit »

Hum, You usually won't I havn't tinkered with Gentoox enough just Gentoo. Hotplug should pick the camera up. Add pwc to the file /etc/modules.autoload.d sometime after hid and usbcore the bottom should be ok. Plug your camera in a boot gentoox. Then see if you have a /dev/video0 if not. type cat /proc/video/dev/video0 if it exist and post it here. Also see if the is another dir in /proc/video/ if there is post the file inside the dir here too. For example i have 2 dir in /proc/video/ ibmcam and dev.
trixter
Adept

Post by trixter »

JustKickNits,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have to leave home right now. I'll give it a try and post my results here when I get back in about 5-6 hours.
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

Dude it works a treat. I followed JusKickNit but the file was autoload (why did you put a d in there) rebooted and it works. Hehehe. The image is a bit small though. How do I make it bigger. Works brilliant though!
trixter
Adept

Post by trixter »

Bucko, did you have to put pwc into the autoload file before you could get it to work? What webcam do you have?

To make the picture bigger you will need to emerge pwcx. Go to this webpage:

http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/release.html

download the pwcx v8.2.2 super value pack. Out of that you need the i86, gcc 3.2, 2.4.20 version. Put this into the folder where pwc is and do the following: --force insmod pwcx

You may need to rename pwcx to something like pwcxi386 (see the download file and what is already in your gentoox folder for help). The system will complain that the compilers were different and that doing this will taint the kernel. I am told this is untrue because ShALLaX added an extra bit to the gentoox compiler name but it is really the same as 2.4.20 version.

I strongly recommend that you backup whatever drive you have gentoox on before you do this. That way, if things go wrong, you can easily get back to where you started. I don't know enough about linux to tell you much more.

Once again, please let me know if you had to put pwc into the autoload file before you could get your webcam to work. Thanks.
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

Well First I downloaded camsource. And the Video Blaster Web Cam 5 wouldn't work (all though its detected under Gentoo and LED comes on, I used info center in KDE, now I use XFCE though). So I just put pwc /etc/modules.autoload and bobs your uncle. I put it under hid i think, as stated by JusKickNit. Here is a screenshot, routing to I.E.:D. Ill think about emerging that pwcx thing when I get broadband installed. I'm fed up of emerging stuff under dialup. BTW I'm running home version 2.0

The web cam is siting next to my TV. You can just see me at my Comp typing when I took the screenshot (Live).
trixter
Adept

Post by trixter »

JustKickNits,

I followed your instructions and got the following:

1) I added pwc to /etc/modules.autoload.d .There were two files in that directory, one for kernel 2.4 and one for kernel 2.5. Everything was already commented out in both files. I added pwc as the only uncommented out entry in both the kernel 2.4 and 2.5 files.
2) I plugged in camera and rebooted. I started camsource and got the usual error about no /dev/video0.
3) I checked and I have no /dev/video0 file or directory.
4) I typed cat /proc/video/dev/video0 , but nothing exists, the cursor just came back on the next line, giving a message saying "no such file or directory".
5) I do not have any /proc/video file or directory.

Bottom line, nothing seems to work. Do you think it is because I have the Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 which may not be supported in kernel 2.4.20, or is something else wrong with my system? Everything else seems to work just fine in gentoox on my xbox. Do I need to be thinking about reinstalling gentoox (I sure hope not) or should I be getting an older webcam to try?

Thanks for your continued patience and support.
trixter
Adept

Post by trixter »

JustKickNits,

I should have mentioned previously that I am running home version 2.1 (latest release I think).
JusKickNit
Novice

Post by JusKickNit »

Trixter, Good News Shallax look like he got 2.4.22 going won't be long tell we can magic kernel-2.4.22. Also I think your looking for a text file called
/etc/modules.autoload no .d. In gentoo PC ver. They use kernel-2.4 an kernel-2.5 files, but I think Shallox modified they boot-up script. To look at that file instead. I wouldn't worry about reinstall. I'm pretty sure it's because of 2.4.20.

Bucko,

I hear you on the dial-up stuff I got over 2 gig's in the Portage distfile dir.
XBoxgeek
Pro

Post by XBoxgeek »

trixter

Rather than e-mail you my findings I thought I would post an update here.

Okay I started with a clean install of Pro.
Then done:-
Magic
emerge sync
emerge -u portage
updated my config files with etc-update

emerge camsource
emerge usb-pwcx

Edited the file called modules.autoload in the dev folder and added pwc. see below:-

Code: Select all

usbcore
input
hid
keybdev
usb-ohci
pwc
usbkbd
usbmouse
mousedev
fat
fatx
i2c-core
i2c-proc
i2c-dev
i2c-xbox
extsmi
sunrpc
lockd
nfs
i810_audio
#nvnet
xpad
joydev
rebooted
pwc is loaded ok
run modprobe pwc
it did not seem to do anything, it just returned me to the prompt.

checked dev folder for a file called video0. it was not there.

typed cat /proc/video/dev/video0 it says file not found.

I do have a proc/video/dev folder but it is empty

run camsource
still got the video0 device not found :(

I tried this with a Logitech Pro 4000 & a Logitech Home (very old model).

I am still very new to all this and I don't understand when/how the video0 file is made. Is this only made if the camera is detected at boot time? is it a file we need to make manually?

I feel we are very near :D hopefully the new 2.4.22 build will help.

Cheers
XBoxgeek
JusKickNit
Novice

Post by JusKickNit »

I think 2.4.22 will fix it all. The pwcx drive will relace the pwc drive I believe They might work together. The modprobe command just loads the module (It won't report anything) If you add pwc to the autoloadfile you don't need to modprobe it. Also I believe to use the pwcx module you need to add pwcx-i386 to the autload file. If you load the module manually at boot time and still have nothing in /proc/video0 or /dev/video0. Than I'm pretty sure that the driver isn't picking up the camera device id. I was going to try to recompile that guy's 2.4.21 modules on the xbox 2.4.20 kernel. But since they 2.4.22 realese is around the corner. We will wait and see if it fixes it. I also have IBM cam so really can't test anything.
XBoxgeek
Pro

Post by XBoxgeek »

Well here is a bit of good news on an otherwise bad day for me :D

I can report that the Logitech Pro 4000 does now work with the new kernal 2.4.22. I done a successful kernal upgrade on one of my other drives.

Steps taken.

emerge camsource
emerge usb-pwcx
cp /etc/camsource.conf.example /etc/camsource.conf
Edited the file called modules.autoload in the etc folder and added "pwcx-i386" under usbmouse

rebooted
started camsource
phew no video0 errors :D
fired up a web browser and typed http://192.168.0.100:9192 insert your own ip address :lol:
and ta dah a pic from the web cam.

I must point out that the image is rather small it's about 176x144. I think I need to look at camsource.conf to tweak it.

Now if only I can fix my main build so I can start using it :D

Cheers
XBoxgeek
trixter
Adept

Post by trixter »

Great news Xboxgeek (if you can fix your other problems). I am on vacation but look forward to upgrading when I return home. I'll let you know what happens when I do.
Skunkalaxy
Linux User

Post by Skunkalaxy »

I just found a driver for my webcam, a Trust Familycam 310AV, which was very hard to find. I found out it uses the spca500A chipset, so download the driver at http://spca50x.sourceforge.net/
This might be usefull to other people who also have some trouble finding the right driver for their (very cheap) webcam.
Skunkalaxy
Linux User

Post by Skunkalaxy »

ok, I got my Trust Familycam 310 AV, running on my xbox. (I used the latest CVS of the scpa50x driver) :D I got some problems like "not able to open /dev/video ..." but that was because my cam turned off when the xbox shut down, and didnt turned on when rebooting again :roll: works great now !