Anyone have a webcam running on Xbox?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
trixter
Adept

Anyone have a webcam running on Xbox?

Post by trixter »

I have carefully followed the tutorial on webcam installation shown in the general section of the forum which links to the following page:
http://www.andrewkendall.com/pages/lear ... /index.php

I can't get it work and always receive the error:
Unable to open /dev/video0 (No such file or directory)
Failed to open device for <camdev name="default">

I even tried manually making the video0 node using the mknod/dev/video0 command discussed on other sites. Still no luck.

Has anyone actually gotten a webcam working on the xbox with gentoox? If so, what camera do you have? What steps did you follow to install it?
JusKickNit
Novice

Post by JusKickNit »

I haven't tried this on gentoox yet, maybe later, but what kind of camera you got.
trixter
Adept

Post by trixter »

I have the Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000.
JusKickNit
Novice

Post by JusKickNit »

EDIT: Found them herehttp://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/

I think there in portage also. Follow the tutorial but emerge media-video/usb-pwcx instead of emerge qce-ga. Shouls work. Good Luck
Yogurth

Post by Yogurth »

PCW driver is already included in gentoox so you don't need to emerge it.

Regards.
trixter
Adept

Post by trixter »

I believe that pwc is already there, but I don't think pwcx is. However, why is the emerge command in the form:

emerge media-video/usb-pwcx

instead of the normal:

emerge pwcx?

If I emerge pwcx and then plugin the camera and reboot, with this automatically make the video0 that is required? Thanks for your help.
Yogurth

Post by Yogurth »

Hope this helps you.

I own a Philips Vesta, and all I had to do to get it working on gentoox with camsource was emerge camsource package.

I'll try to install PCWX tonight.

Regards.
trixter
Adept

Post by trixter »

Please let me know what happens. I am most interested!
Yogurth

Post by Yogurth »

I had problems yesterday with one of my XBox (failed flashing TSOP, I will mend it on monday). I'll try to install PCWX today on my other Xbox.
JusKickNit
Novice

Post by JusKickNit »

Sorry old habit hard to break

emerge pwcx is fine

I have an IBM cam. So I'm not to familiar with the quickcam. I didn't think the PWC kernel driver supported The Quikcam Pro untill 2.4.21. The PWCX driver is a closed source drive with better res and features. Try this.

Plug in your cam Type
modprobe pwc

Now check your /dev/video0

It is possible that you need to add this to load at boot time.
JusKickNit
Novice

Post by JusKickNit »

Yogurth wrote:PCW driver is already included in gentoox so you don't need to emerge it.

Regards.
Who said emerge the pcw driver
trixter
Adept

Post by trixter »

Thanks for your suggestions JustKickNit. I worked with a knowledgeable guy on #gentoox IRC for 2 hours last night trying to get my Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 running on the xbox, but it never worked. Audio seems to be recognized, but no video. When I start camsource it all goes OK and then I get error saying /dev/video0 doesn't exist.

According the this link the Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 has been supported since kernel 2.4.19

http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/release.html

But maybe that is wrong so perhaps that explains why it doesn't work?
I'll try your suggestion, but I don't think the camera is being recognized at all. I do have the qce driver installed as well, I wouldn't think that would cause a problem but should I unmerge qce?

Thanks for your help. I have invested so many hours in this thing now that I don't want to give up on it. If I thought it would work I would go out and buy a IBM camera like JustKickNits has, but a webpage I viewed says that some of these IBM cameras work with linux and some do not.
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

Video Blaster Web Cam 5 (WDM) is my web cam. What is the best driver to download? I'm a little confused by that driver web page. Also what is the "emerge driver" command to go with it? Thanks a bunch. Mark.
JusKickNit
Novice

Post by JusKickNit »

Trixter,

The qca driver won't conflict so only unmerge to clear up disk space. Not sure this http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/release.html kernel release page is a little confusing. The reason that i say 2.4.21 is at http://www.justlinux.com I did a search for your cam. And several post we're that is didn't work untill 2.4.21 I think 2.4.19 at that site is when he built in the kernel but, not when it was in the official kernel. It's also possible that you have a weird dev i.d. that is causing the camera not to be regonized. I know one more thing i'm gonna try tonight and let you know the results. If you emerge the usb-pwcx module. The driver to load is called pwcx-i386

Bucko,

Not sure! Is it a creative lab's posibble to use the pwc driver also.
trixter
Adept

Post by trixter »

JustKickNits:

You may be right about the Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 not being supported until 2.4.21 or later. I tried your probmod pwc command as root and it just returned to the next cursor line. No error message or any device information was given. Yes, I had my cam plugged in when I did that.