X2vga And Gentoox

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!

Please select which type of XBOX Video adapter you use.

x2vga
40%
other pure NTSC ==> VGA adapter
10%
Line Doubler
No votes
AVIP ==> VGA using Sync-On-Green
No votes
AVIP ==> VGA using Sync Splitter
20%
High Definition (Component) AV Pack
No votes
Advanced AV Pack
10%
S-Video/AV Cable
No votes
RFU Adapter
No votes
Standard (Composite) AV Cable
20%

Total votes: 10

Terra
Novice

X2vga And Gentoox

Post by Terra »

Has anyone been able to get the new x2vga adapter with GentooX (or other Linux distribution) to go above the standard 640x480 resolution? :idea:

Even at 720p, the resolution is still 640x480. :?

Trying to work with KDE in 640x480 is pretty much painful since screen real estate is a precious commodity. :shock:

My RCA MM36100 will do 800x600@60, but I cannot figure out if the x2vga adapter is capable of being hacked to do this. I have tried various things with fbset and xbv, but I've got neither to leap ahead beyond 640x480.

Has anyone taken apart an x2vga adapter yet to see what its level of hackability is and to also see what makes it tick? :?:

They seem to be the talk of the town right now, and I'd love to see a good technical writeup from an xbox/vga engineering expert. Hopefully they will also have a keen interest in pushing this x2vga adapter to the max for Linux interoperability. :idea:

Thanks!

--
Terra
XBoxgeek
Pro

Post by XBoxgeek »

I would be interested in this as well. I got my X2VGA yesterday but i've not used it yet. Got it so I can run Halo in 720P on my 8 foot screen :D

XBoxgeek
kadrim
Novice

Re: X2vga And Gentoox

Post by kadrim »

Terra wrote:Has anyone been able to get the new x2vga adapter with GentooX (or other Linux distribution) to go above the standard 640x480 resolution? :idea:
I'm using the avip selfmade-cable and i got 1024x768 working with debian because of the 2.4.21 kernel (builtin vga-support, you just need to edit linuxboot.cfg)

so if we are going to get the new kernel into gentoox everything should be fine :)
Terra
Novice

Post by Terra »

Kadrim:
Did you fabricate your own sync-splitter, from scratch, or is there a kit available.

In my case, even with VGA support added, I don't think it will work with the x2vga box since it seems to be locked into the 640x480 resolution. :cry:

I'm hoping a graphics engineer will rip one of these x2vga boxes apart and be able to mod it for higher resolutions.

--
Terra
kadrim
Novice

Post by kadrim »

a kit for sync seperation?? *gg*
Lol

you only need the Lm1881n (standard-ic) to convert the green sync signal

well i've written a small tutorial for this (german only so far) but the parts you need cost less than 4 Euro

If you're good at soldering you can complete this in about 1 hour
duncani

Post by duncani »

kadrim wrote: well i've written a small tutorial for this (german only so far) but the parts you need cost less than 4 Euro
hey,
tell me where to find it and i could translate it.
cheers,
duncani