No services work through wlan0, but...

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
orochidp
Linux User

No services work through wlan0, but...

Post by orochidp »

...they all seem to look for traffic solely on eth0.
There IS no eth0 connection, just the pretend one it makes at boot.
Now, is there a way to link up wlan0 and eth0 so that the ftp server/ssh/remote desktop/samba/etc work on wlan0 as well?
The device is a USB wireless adaptor.

Another thing, how would I go about writing a script to contain a set of commands like:

Code: Select all

iwconfig wlan0 essid blahblah channel 9 
dhcpcd wlan0
I'd like to be able to issue a single command like "wlanconfig" (Or better yet, do it by itself after the device is recognized) and make it spring forth and do that for me...
Can someone help me with either of the two problems?
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

Try disabling eth0. Use:

ifconfig eth0 down
I don't know about the iwconfig drivers, but I know with the wlanctl-ng drivers, I don't have to change any settings to get samba or ssh to work. As long as I had an IP from wlan0, then it automatically used that connection for ssh and samba.

As for you script, make the script using a text editor (like nano or scite for example), save it as wlanconfig (or whatever you'd like), and then do

chmod +x wlanconfig
Also, if you want to be able to run it without moving to the diectory it's in all the time, move/copy it to /sbin/wlanconfig

If you want to have it run upon booting Gentoox, move/copy it to /etc/init.d/
Then do

rc-update add wlanconfig default
This is basically how I have mine running, I have a script to start and stop the wireless network which I can run by opening the terminal and typing wlanstart or wlanstop.
orochidp
Linux User

Post by orochidp »

Thanks a lot, Trevante.
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

Cool, did you get everything working?