Got switched to PAL in Gentoox - PLEASE HELP!

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
danerwin

Got switched to PAL in Gentoox - PLEASE HELP!

Post by danerwin »

I'm very new to Gentoox and really don't know my way around the system at all. I'll try to explain my screwup in detail so maybe someone can guide me through it.
The first time I tried to use Gentoox, I noticed that a lot of the text was getting cut off at the edges of the screen so I wasn't able to complete my first boot. I couldn't figure out how to exit back to Evox either so I ended up powering off and back on. So far I hadn't messed anything up.
Then I went back into Gentoox looking for a way to change my screen settings. I went into Advanced settings and saw an area that made reference to NTSC but nothing about screen dimensions. I couldn't find what I was looking for and didn't think I had changed anything, but apparently I had. Once again, I couldn't find a way to get back to Evox so I powered off.
When I powered back on, my screen was messed up. Black and white with no vertical control. Apparently I switched over to PAL. Now I can't really see what it going on when I try to navigate Evox. I have figured out how to get back into Gentoox by going down six places and pushing A. But I really can't see what I have selected and I don't know where to go to switch back to NTSC.
So If somebody can help me get my screen back, what I really need is almost like a tutorial for the blind. My other option might be to make a Enigmah disc and boot from that. But I am waiting to hear from somebody who knows something about this. Any help is much appreciated.
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

Hi,

You said you changed inside Gentoox, that wont affect your Evox settings. Tell us what you have. Your xbox, your mod, your gentoox version.

And we understand your new to gentoox, but reading the tutorials and doing a search in the forums wont hurt.
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
danerwin

Post by danerwin »

I have an XBox v1.6 with SmartXX Evox v+3935 Dash. Gentoox should be the most recent version as I just downloaded off this site a three days ago and did an FTP install.
I'm not sure how it happened. The last time I was able to view anything in NTSC mode, I was in Gentoox Advanced Settings. I powered off from there and when I powered back up I was in PAL. I can see PAL in the top left of the Smart XX start up screen although everything is hard to read.
So if changing it from inside Gentoox doesn't affect Evox settings then I am really confused.
I searched a bunch of forums and read every post and tutorial I could find that might help me fix this problem before posting here. I've exchanged emails with a few modders and a Linux guy who referred me to this site last week. So far I haven't found anybody who understands what happened.
I suppose making an Enigmah CD might solve this problem although I've never tried that. I am currently trying to send my XBox video signal into my PC using All In Wonder because somebody told me that would work with PAL so that I can at least see what I'm doing. I'm not sure what the best way to fix it is. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
danerwin

Post by danerwin »

Okay I was able to change it back. All I had to do was find my way back to the place where I changed it in the first place... The Video Settings Menu. Wasn't easy to find it in PAL mode on an NTSC set. But my TV remote's Quick freeze feature made it a little easier.
Once I got back into Video Settings, I just used the A Button to change back to NTSC. Then I powered off. Powered back on and everything was back to normal.
I'm not sure why changing to PAL in Gentoox switched my entire system over to PAL if that is not supposed to be the case. I'm just glad it is back to normal. I don't really understand this program and I probably shouldn't have been messing with it in the first place. Hopefully somebody else can learn from this post in the future though. Thanks to all who offered help.
yfan_ca

Post by yfan_ca »

Hi danerwin,

I got exactly the same problem you had! But I changed Video setting by experimenting. And I regret! However, I used the exactly same technique you mentioned to get it back. Thank you!
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Yes, changing the video mode to PAL in Gentoox loader actually makes permanent changes to your EEPROM which effects ALL software run on the Xbox.

If you dont know what PAL/NTSC settings are, dont mess with them! ;p

Had you have read the manual you'd have seen there are no overscan correction settings for Xbox v1.6s.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo