E-mail server

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
R0Bzombie
Novice

E-mail server

Post by R0Bzombie »

anybody ever made a e-mail server on their gentoox machine ?
I'm trying to do that and can't make it work.
I'm a total noob in linux so I'm following some guides off the gentoo website but every time I get something that don't work.

What I want to do is have like 10 users max on 3 different domain names.
And I want the users to be able to take their e-mails over the net in outlook and a webmail.
It doesn't sound so difficult but I'm now desesperate.

Thank you
My linux only Xbox:
V1.0
CheapMod
160gig hdd
128mb Ram
jeokeefx
Novice

Post by jeokeefx »

for outlook you would really need an exchange backend , but it will work with imap and pop3 ...

have you tried emerging postfix and then using webmin to configure it ??
R0Bzombie
Novice

Post by R0Bzombie »

jeokeefx wrote:for outlook you would really need an exchange backend , but it will work with imap and pop3 ...

have you tried emerging postfix and then using webmin to configure it ??
When I try to login in webmin with internet explorer, I get HTTP 500 error: internal server error.
So I can't login. I tried to login by putting admin in the username and nothing in password.
My linux only Xbox:
V1.0
CheapMod
160gig hdd
128mb Ram
jeokeefx
Novice

Post by jeokeefx »

actually , i am looing into open Xchange at the moment , it is an open source alternative to MS EXchange .. Might give it a go tonight ..

You should be logging into webmin as root with your root password , the default is xbox ..

I should add that if you are interested in doing various different things with your xbox then you should visit the gentoo.org forums and do a search there , there are solutions for just about anything gentoo related ..
Pobtastic
Novice

Post by Pobtastic »

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/virt-mail-howto.xml

I was running 5 virtual domains and email 'serving' for all of them on my Xbox a short while ago. I only swapped over to using Gentoo on an old PC as I had other plans for the Xbox to go into a Sega Universal arcade cabinet (with high res monitor) running MAMEoX through an X2VGA :D

What exactly are you having trouble with? Postfix works pretty much 'out of the box' and if you follow that guide above you'll be able to install Squirrelmail for webmail as well. I'd also recommend installing ClamAV and spamassassin as well (using maildrop if you've more than one virtual domain) it's all quite well documented...

Pobster