128MB RAM Upgrade

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
clpalmer
Power user

128MB RAM Upgrade

Post by clpalmer »

I'd really like to get my hands on a set of ram chips to upgrade to 128MB. ROBzombie mentioned here that you can get the chips from an old "LEADTEK - WINFAST GeForce 2 Pro 64MB AGP 4x". However, the key word in there is "old" =) Anyone know either someone who's still selling those old cards or another cheap way to get the chips.

And yes, I know I can send it to friendtech or the like, but it's $60 + shipping for a few $5 parts I can put in myself.
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

Those RAM chips are much more than $5.....

Go to the Buy/Sell/Trade section of the Xbox-scene forums, I believe Perplexer sells the RAM chips for $40 USD. Otherwise, I don't think you're going to find that card anywhere, I searched and I couldn't find anything, not even on ebay.
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

I think I remember seeing somewhere that the chips sell for $5 or $6 bux each. So 4 of em would be under $30. Guess $40 isn't bad for the set. Especially since there's nowhere to buy em cheaper it seems. Unless I can find someone with an otherwise fried old MB to sell me.
R0Bzombie
Novice

Post by R0Bzombie »

Here's what I bought http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 5165408551
I desoldered the chips from the video card then solder them onto my v1.0 xbox and it works like a charm.
And yes, I know I can send it to friendtech or the like, but it's $60 + shipping for a few $5 parts I can put in myself.
By the way it's not that easy man
My linux only Xbox:
V1.0
CheapMod
160gig hdd
128mb Ram
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

I have a degree in computer engineering, so the soldering doesn't scare me =) It's just trying to find the damn chips that's a pain.
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Can anyone provide their experience with the 128MB upgrade? Does it make a big difference in compile time or speed running xfce?

I've got problems with pan (newsgroup reader if you're not familiar with it) at the moment. When I try to load the headers for a newsgroup with a ton of headers (>100,000 or so) it either freezes or crashes. I tried to refresh a group with 750,000 headers and it'll just crash and exit pan somewhere over 600,000. If I try to get say 200,000 of those headers, it'll get all the way to the end of the progress bar, but then freeze (doesn't crash, but won't actually show the group or headers). I'm hoping it's just a problem with pan running out of memory and the 128mb might help. Anyone else use pan and have similar experiences or advice? Or anyone know of another or better graphical newsgroup reader with similar features?
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

see for yourself:

xbox with 128mb memory:
http://info.shallax.com/index.php
xbox with 64mb memory:
http://www.1337dot.com/phpsysinfo/

pages dont load considerably fast on my xbox/site, but it gets the job done, if my girlfriend would let me, i would get the 128mb
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Thanks orochi, but those just give me specs. I'm looking more for user experience. Is general usage of xfce (opening apps, doing basic stuff), compiling, etc, really sped up that much by the 128MB or is it only worth it if you have the $30 to spend on the chips?

Found a site that sells em for $30 USD. http://www.xboxabc.com (assuming they're legit)

Can't find another one of those cards anywhere, though. You got a sweet deal ROBzombie =)
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

heh, I meant those links for user experience this site loads hella fast vs my xbox running with 64mb, I mean my site runs fine, but i cant even run pro+apache+mysql+proftpd+teamspeak2 and im starting to swap. Xfce was unbearable with 64mb, I would assume it would run alot better with another 64mb of memory at its disposal
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Ahh, now I get ya. Cool, thanks =) Now just to figure out if I wanna spend $30 for the chips, or $60+ for someone else to do it =)
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

yea i've been pondering it as well, as soon as i can manage a box to ship my unit in, i think i might just let friendtech do it. Anyone used them before? anyone have reccomendations?
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

I hear Perplexer from Xbox-scene is a great guy to do business with, although I think he charges more than Friendtech, but I'm not sure.
Neisius

Post by Neisius »

I just finished my 128mb mod the other day and it's great. I was using ~20mb of swap with just GentooxPro and Folding@Home running and now I have a whole 2mb of free mem! :lol:

I got my chips from appleguru at x-s for $30 shipped:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=379536

When I first installed them I think I didn't get a few pins 100% stuck down so it sat on my "work table"(air hockey table) for a week or 2 before I got up the nerve to work on it some more. I reheated all the pins and it booted right up.
If I had to do it again I would. I don't think it's worth the $60+ for someone else to do it. You'd miss out on all the fun :D
void513

pricewatch

Post by void513 »

try http://www.pricewatch.com
theres a good chance u will find one there cheap
Telek
Linux User

Post by Telek »

I did the 128MB myself too. I really don't like XFCE, so I wanted to use KDE, but it is unusable on 64MB, however it works quite well with 128MB!

I'm still looking for a good source of those chips though...