Okay how do you do a native install with stardust?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
XBoxgeek
Pro

Okay how do you do a native install with stardust?

Post by XBoxgeek »

Hi,

I downloaded Gentoox.ShALLaX.Pro-Edition.Integrated-Install.rar.
Burnt a CDR-W with the ISO
Flashed my Bios with the stardust 640x480 Bios
Booted my XBox
Installed Stardust in DVD
Stardust runs
I have 2 options:-
e
f
I select f it says I need 3.5 Gb, I only have 2 as it's a stock drive.
So I re-run stardust and select e and it installs. But at no tme did it ask me about a native install.

I watched the watch me video 3 times and I can not see the option on there either. Have I missed something stupid or am I Stupid.

Many thanks
XBoxgeek
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

You dont have a big enough F partition to do a native install.
XBoxgeek
Pro

Post by XBoxgeek »

aah okay,

I was getting confused because in another post you said
You can already install natively to F: on a stock 10gb hdd. Ive done it on my xbox. It leaves you with 280MB free.
viewtopic.php?t=246&highlight=native

No problem.

Cheers
XBoxgeek
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

It must depend on which stock 10gb you have :\
XBoxgeek
Pro

Post by XBoxgeek »

D'oh :shock:

I am using a Seagate ST310221A. I also have a stack of other ones here from all the mod's I have done in the past. Basically I have only two types:-

Type 1) Seagate ST310221A
Type 2) Seagate ST310014ACE

I will have a play, but I think they are both 10 gigs (so the Segate website says).

I wonder if there is away when I format my drive with Evox if I can change the partition data so it creates e: smaller than 5 gigs, say 3?.

You see I have an old XBox that I just want Genoox on natively. It seems a waste to buy a bigger drive when I have about 20 10gigs here :D .

BTW. Gentoox rocks.

Cheers anyway.
XBoxgeek
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Seagate ST310014ACE is the hdd im using and definitely works. Its _slightly_ bigger than than the other, though they call them both 10GB. You cant format the partitions to be different sizes since the bios specifies the size of partitions.
XBoxgeek
Pro

Post by XBoxgeek »

Hi ShALLaX,

I am going crazy here :lol: I chucked in a Seagate ST310014ACE, formated the whole drive with Evox. Using this drive gave me about 250mb more space than the ST310221A.

I boot with Stardust from bios X2 4977. When I get to the Pick drive letter section, I only have e & f. If I pick f it says I need 3.5Gb. If I pick e it does a standard install on e i.e using a rootfs file.

I downloaded this distro from sourceforge "Gentoox.ShALLaX.Pro-Edition.Integrated-Install.rar" dated September 18th is this the right one?

What am I doing wrong? Should I not be using X2 4977 to boot Stardust from?

Many thanks.
XBoxgeek
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Heres what the test criteria for enabling native is:

if [ -r /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part55 ] || [ -r /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 ]; then
echo -e "native"
fi

This means that if part55 exists OR part2 exists, you should see the "native" option. Logically, this means that if you see "F" you should also see "native".
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Woah hangon, that Integrated-Install pro was the first batch of integrated-installers I made. It didnt support native install and I dont know if it bothered checking to see if F drive was available. You should redownload pro. The new name is just called "Gentoox.ShALLaX.Pro-Edition.rar".

I think that should solve your problems!
XBoxgeek
Pro

Post by XBoxgeek »

yep that's the one I installed first, but they are just the core files no installer is included. How do I do a native install with that?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

No no no, the original one was also just called "pro edition", then i called it "pro edition integrated-install", then i went back to just "pro edition". So if you download the proedition now, it should be the latest and greatest version :)
XBoxgeek
Pro

Post by XBoxgeek »

LOL My head hurts!! Okay I got the new file and I am doing a native install as I type this :D (Glad I got the 2mb pipe for these downloads).

Thanks for all your help and please forgive my stupidity :wink:

Cheers
XBoxgeek
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Glad i got to the bottom of it :)