Can I put shortcuts on desktop to change res

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Desertboy
Novice

Can I put shortcuts on desktop to change res

Post by Desertboy »

Can I have "batch" style files that could run a simple scrpit to change res between 800x600 & 640x480. I've used XBVset I have my ideal settings but it would be nice if I could change quickly with a click of an icon.

I'm still running KDE at the moment because can't connect my xbox to the internet. (I got to get this sorted) and it's slow as hell.

I'm also experimenting with epsxe which I can't seem to get decent perfomance at fullscreen any tips? Is KDE eating up too much ram slowing epsxe down or does the xbox simpy lack the grunt needed.

I've got a psx pad->usb converter->usb keyboard->xbox gentoox recognises it according to dmesg as instructed here

http://reviewed.homelinux.org/en/howtojoystick.html

How can I test it's working (with what comes built in to gentoox 2.1)because I can't get epsxe to recognise it with my pad plugin and I want to know if it's working or not.
Help I haven't got a clue, Linux scares me and I don't know what to double click. Where's My computer, I don't see any setup.exe and my device manager is plain missing.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

I don't know how to log in as superuser through a shell script, but it is probably possible. If so, that's your solution.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
dr_flubber
Linux User

Post by dr_flubber »

don't know if that works on xbox but under x you can press : ctrl alt + or ctrl alt - to change resolution
--dr.flubb
skilayers

Post by skilayers »

I'm having trouble getting any psx emulator to read my Cdrom drive. What plugin are you using?

skinlayers
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

You have to reboot to change resolution, as far as I know the resolution is set in the linuxboot.cfg file on your E drive. All you need do is
Set the first resolution you like and make a copy of the linuxboot.cfg file.
Set the second resolution and make a copy of the linuxboot.cfg file.
Make a simple script that is something like.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
rm -rf /mnt/fatx/e/linuxboot.cfg
cp -v /mnt/fatx/e/1st-linuxboot.cfg /mnt/fatx/e/linuxboot.cfg
echo "Gentoox will reboot in 10 seconds press Ctrl+C to cancel"
sleep 10
reboot
Then you need to make the script executable and put it somewhere in your path, then you can just tap the name of the script and gentoox will reboot into the new res.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?